National "Must Try" dishes

I dont know where this came from but growing up we had pea pie and pud for dinner reasonably regular. Cheap and filling. I still do it often. A family pie , I cut in half to do 2 different meals. Dollop on mashed potatoes on top.

Do you mean pease pudding perhaps - that was an old English favourite and there is a rhyme to prove it..

Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot – nine days old.
Some like it hot, some like it cold,
Some like it in the pot – nine days old.

Its a North East favourite and the 'pease' in question are yellow split peas:

1704641407863.png

Photo from Pease pudding recipe | BBC Good Food

It can be found in tinned form:

1704641486065.png

Do you mean pease pudding perhaps - that was an old English favourite and there is a rhyme to prove it..

View attachment 108890

View attachment 108891
Ah yes! I had images of pea’s in a pie crust 😆

Well so did I and maybe it is? I await rascal's reply.
I looked it up, and according to that infallible source, The Internet, “pea, pie, and pud” equates to a pie (frequently mince), a side of green peas, and “pud” is a shorthand for “spud,” so potatoes as well…so, a meat pie, with some peas and potatoes on the side - and beetroot, since it’s rascal we're talking about. 😉

View attachment 108890

View attachment 108891
I'm aware of that tune '? But I think it's more simple.. pea pie and pud . Peas pie and pud short for spud??
But I could be wrong? I was wrong in 1979 once? :wink:

Russ

I looked it up, and according to that infallible source, The Internet, “pea, pie, and pud” equates to a pie (frequently mince), a side of green peas, and “pud” is a shorthand for “spud,” so potatoes as well…so, a meat pie, with some peas and potatoes on the side - and beetroot, since it’s rascal we're talking about. 😉

The lack of a comma between pea and pie makes rascal's post read as literally 'a pie made with peas'. But your interpretation seems to be right.

Peas pie and pud short for spud??
Here’s the funny bit: before working this out, I was naturally reading “pud” in the British sense, as short for pudding, to rhyme with should.

After watching a video from a native New Zealander, where he pronounced it “pud” as short for spud and to rhyme with that word, I had to laugh, because here where I live, pud (to rhyme with spud) is a slang term for a man’s, erm, manly bits, so from now on, when I see “pea pie and pud,” I’m going to think that, depending on who you are, thsts either the best supper or worst supper you’re gonna have! :laugh:

Here’s the funny bit: before working this out, I was naturally reading “pud” in the British sense, as short for pudding, to rhyme with should.

After watching a video from a native New Zealander, where he pronounced it “pud” as short for spud and to rhyme with that word, I had to laugh, because here where I live, pud (to rhyme with spud) is a slang term for a man’s, erm, manly bits, so from now on, when I see “pea pie and pud,” I’m going to think that, depending on who you are, thsts either the best supper or worst supper you’re gonna have! :laugh:

And you muricans name boys randy, here that means completely different. Here its sexually turned on.

Russ

Yeah, it is down here, too. BTW, who was the lazy person who decided "spud" was too long a word? :scratchhead:

CD

Back
Top Bottom