National "Must Try" dishes

Says the American who‘s country has a reputation for shortening every word they can 😆
That was actually one of the things that surprised and delighted me once I got to experience Britlish firsthand - all the unexpected shortened words, like brolly and prezzie and snap (meaning a snapshot) and a whole host of others.

I thought I was fairly well-informed that way, having watched so much British TV growing up, but every day, it seemed like there were 10 new shorthands I’d hear.

So just to be clear rascal it’s a pie 🥧 usually made of mince and peas🫛 and some potatoes? Can it be any form of potato? Boiled mashed roast etc? Or is it generally spuds done one way?

A pie pastry top and bottom. Filled with steak or beef mince usually cheese and veges.
They sell.both. 1 pie $8 I cut in half and freeze 1. The other half does wife and I. Mash spud is potatoes mash with cheese and butter. A dollop mash. ( I live the word...dollop)
And peas. Bakery here call them dressed pies with slice onion and slice beetroot..
I cut up the lot mash type and squirt tomato sauce and Worcestershire as well. Pepper. It's up with my fave meals all time. Cheap family food.about $ 3 per portion.

Russ

That was actually one of the things that surprised and delighted me once I got to experience Britlish firsthand - all the unexpected shortened words, like brolly and prezzie and snap (meaning a snapshot) and a whole host of others.

I thought I was fairly well-informed that way, having watched so much British TV growing up, but every day, it seemed like there were 10 new shorthands I’d hear.
Ah yes we do have a lot of shorthand. I was more referring to the dropping of all the extraneous vowels from the English language 😆

Snap also means matching or the same, it’s from the card game Snap. For example you have the same experience as someone else or turn up wearing the same clothing as someone else you say “Snap”
When I first heard snap in ‘My Name Is Earl‘ I thought what are they talking about? 😆

A pie pastry top and bottom. Filled with steak or beef mince usually cheese and veges.
They sell.both. 1 pie $8 I cut in half and freeze 1. The other half does wife and I. Mash spud is potatoes mash with cheese and butter. A dollop mash. ( I live the word...dollop)
And peas. Bakery here call them dressed pies with slice onion and slice beetroot..
I cut up the lot mash type and squirt tomato sauce and Worcestershire as well. Pepper. It's up with my fave meals all time. Cheap family food.about $ 3 per portion.

Russ
So TR was right there is beetroot involved :roflmao:

So TR was right there is beetroot involved :roflmao:

Lol. But I'm a beetroot freak. In burgers and beetroot and onion sammies. I bottle about 10kgs of the stuff a year. Thing is I only eat canned beetroot. My family love my beetroot though. I also swap it. I'm swapping 2 big jars of thr stuff for 2 big crays. Murican called them spiney lobsters according to research done by caseydog

Russ

Ah yes we do have a lot of shorthand. I was more referring to the dropping of all the extraneous vowels from the English language 😆

Snap also means matching or the same, it’s from the card game Snap. For example you have the same experience as someone else or turn up wearing the same clothing as someone else you say “Snap”
When I first heard snap in ‘My Name Is Earl‘ I thought what are they talking about? 😆

Off topic, but here's the reason...

When Noah Webster published his first dictionary in the early 19th century, he sought to simplify and standardize American English. This led to various spelling reforms, including the removal of the letter "u" from words such as "color," "favor," and "honor." These changes were intended to reflect pronunciation and make spelling more phonetic.

Reasoning that many spelling conventions were artificial and needlessly confusing, he urged altering many words: musick to music, centre to center, and plough to plow, for example.

CD

Off topic, but here's the reason...

When Noah Webster published his first dictionary in the early 19th century, he sought to simplify and standardize American English. This led to various spelling reforms, including the removal of the letter "u" from words such as "color," "favor," and "honor." These changes were intended to reflect pronunciation and make spelling more phonetic.

Reasoning that many spelling conventions were artificial and needlessly confusing, he urged altering many words: musick to music, centre to center, and plough to plow, for example.

CD

I was taught the old version and still use it.
Spell check uses murican but I mostly override it. I use the "u".

Russ

Back
Top Bottom