National "Must Try" dishes

Off topic, but here's the reason...

When Noah Webster published his first dictionary in the early 19th century, he sought to simplify and standardize American English. This led to various spelling reforms, including the removal of the letter "u" from words such as "color," "favor," and "honor." These changes were intended to reflect pronunciation and make spelling more phonetic.

Reasoning that many spelling conventions were artificial and needlessly confusing, he urged altering many words: musick to music, centre to center, and plough to plow, for example.

CD
Well yes they didn’t want the hoi polloi being able to easily teach themselves to read and write now did they!

The Welsh language dropped the letter K completely because it‘s pointless having C and K!

Is just call it “P-cubed.”
Here, I’m putting together a meaty pie right now, and as you can see, I like sticking my pud* right in the pie:

IMG_7249.jpeg

*New Zealand usage! New Zealand usage! :laugh:

Lol. But I'm a beetroot freak. In burgers and beetroot and onion sammies. I bottle about 10kgs of the stuff a year. Thing is I only eat canned beetroot. My family love my beetroot though. I also swap it. I'm swapping 2 big jars of thr stuff for 2 big crays. Murican called them spiney lobsters according to research done by caseydog

Russ
I also adore beetroot in all formats. I love fresh beetroot from the garden (not my garden I hasten to add), from the salad section in a little carton and pickled in vinegar whether whole or crinkle cut, I love me some beetroot!

I have a lovely gratin recipe that is essentially a layer of sliced beetroot hidden in between potatoes. Can’t always find the raw beetroot to do it but when I do it’s my favourite Sunday roast accompaniment, that and beetroot roasted in a balsamic glaze with feta cheese 🤤

I also adore beetroot in all formats.
We also love beets here, but MrsT won’t eat them any longer because the first time she had them after going onto blood thinners, she had an issue.

What was it? Well, her doc said in the early days, to be mindful of any signs of internal bleeding, until they got the dosage worked out, such as large bruises without an associated bump or fall, and blood in the stool.

Considering what dark red beets can do to your, shall we say output, the following day after eating a load of roasted beets, she came running out of the bathroom saying she needed to go the ER, because her morning product was red, and I called our healthcare nurse line (which, due to legal reasons, they always tell you to go to the ER), so off we went.

After much testing and finding nothing out of sorts, the doctor finally came in, and as soon as he opened his mouth:

Doc: Quick quest-
Me: Geezus, it’s the damn beets! We had beets last night!
Doc: That’s what I was about to ask. Go home.

That mistake cost over $700, with insurance, and I had to fight with them to get them to pay it, or it would have been over $3000 - the only thing that saved me was that I’d called their nurse and she’d told me to go.

Anyway, since then, she won’t eat them, because she’s afraid the one time she does, she’ll have red 💩, assume it’s the beets, but it’ll really be a ruptured thingamajiggy somewhere inside her. 🤷‍♂️

I love ‘em, though!

Slightly off topic but what about ‘gh’ and ’qu’ words in amercan? Something like ‘thorough’ or ‘through‘ have you kept that?

I think surnames that are spelt in really obscure ways and pronounced entirely differently are my least favourite thing.

Probably because I remember quite vividly when I was 17yrs old being in a VIP enclosure surrounded by old money and making what was considered a huge social gaffe revealing my lack of breeding by reading someone’s name as it was spelt - Mr Cholmondeley which is pronounced Chumlee.

At the time I didn’t understand why everyone went quiet and stared, all I knew was I had failed and was not ‘one of them’
Years later I saw a Harry Enfield sketch and someone told me the Cholmondeley character in the credits was Chumlee and the penny finally dropped 🙄

Last edited:
We also love beets here, but MrsT won’t eat them any longer because the first time she had them after going onto blood thinners, she had an issue.

What was it? Well, her doc said in the early days, to be mindful of any signs of internal bleeding, until they got the dosage worked out, such as large bruises without an associated bump or fall, and blood in the stool.

Considering what dark red beets can do to your, shall we say output, the following day after eating a load of roasted beets, she came running out of the bathroom saying she needed to go the ER, because her morning product was red, and I called our healthcare nurse line (which, due to legal reasons, they always tell you to go to the ER), so off we went.

After much testing and finding nothing out of sorts, the doctor finally came in, and as soon as he opened his mouth:

Doc: Quick quest-
Me: Geezus, it’s the damn beets! We had beets last night!
Doc: That’s what I was about to ask. Go home.

That mistake cost over $700, with insurance, and I had to fight with them to get them to pay it, or it would have been over $3000 - the only thing that saved me was that I’d called their nurse and she’d told me to go.

Anyway, since then, she won’t eat them, because she’s afraid the one time she does, she’ll have red 💩, assume it’s the beets, but it’ll really be a ruptured thingamajiggy somewhere inside her. 🤷‍♂️

I love ‘em, though!
I’d switch to Apixaban and enjoy some beetroot and a nice glass or three of claret!

Slightly off topic but what about ‘gh’ and ’qu’ words in amercan? Something like ‘thorough’ or ‘through‘ have you kept that?

I think surnames that are spelt in really obscure ways and pronounced entirely differently are my least favourite thing.

Probably because I remember quite vividly when I was 17yrs old being in a VIP enclosure surrounded by old money and making what was considered a huge social gaffe revealing my lack of breeding by reading someone’s name as it was spelt - Mr Cholmondeley which is pronounced Chumlee.

At the time I didn’t understand why everyone went quiet and stared, all I knew was I had failed and was not ‘one of them’
Years later I saw a Harry Enfield sketch and someone told me the Cholmondeley character in the credits was Chumle and the penny finally dropped 🙄

I know the pronunciation because there is a children home here for wayward kids.
Cholmondley home.
I was threatened at least 10 times of being sent there.

Russ

Yeah, the British never do that. :wink:
Just all the time... Snafu? Posh? :laugh: :laugh:
My one occasional difficulty with US English is the acronyms. Things like " I spoke to the USDA and the FDA, and the PIB in the HRS was far too complex for the IRS to work out , so they called the FBI and the CIA and discovered that everyone was AWOL"
Sometimes I can work it out, having worked with US companies for over 40 years. Other times, like Winnie the Pooh:
Sometimes I sits and thinks. Other times, I just sits.

My one occasional difficulty with US English is the acronyms. Things like " I spoke to the USDA and the FDA, and the PIB in the HRS was far too complex for the IRS to work out , so they called the FBI and the CIA and discovered that everyone was AWOL"
Sometimes I can work it out, having worked with US companies for over 40 years. Other times, like Winnie the Pooh:

Get with the program man. I know them all nearly.
Potus
Scotus
Ag
And the states ie M.E I.A C.O

RUSS

I watch cnn and fox. :) :)

Russ

Posh comes from sea travel
Port out starboard home

Russ

Back
Top Bottom