National "Must Try" dishes

I don't think we can honestly, as Brits, complain about that, given that we serve pineapple fritters, SPAM fritters, battered saveloys and curry sauce with our fish & chips.
Oh, I'm not complaining - I went to every chip shop in Maidstone last time I was there, looking for pineapple fritters!!
There’s not a single item you’ve listed I’ve heard anyone ever complain about???
But I join arms with the millions of others that have to look away from that list before they chuck 😆

Brits will make anything into a curry.
Not so sure that's the case today. I spent almost a year in the UK between 2022-23, and I think tastes have changed. I only saw one curry house in my town, but there were 3 Thai, 4 Italian, a dozen pizza and/or burger joints and half a dozen Greek restaurants.
When I was living there, a curry was obligatory on a Friday/Saturday night, after a skinful of beers. Not so much now.

I dont know where this came from but growing up we had pea pie and pud for dinner reasonably regular. Cheap and filling. I still do it often. A family pie , I cut in half to do 2 different meals. Dollop on mashed potatoes on top. Few peas and optional are 2 onion slices and few bits of beetroot. When in UK late 90s for nearly 3 months I never encountered it. I've always assumed it was a brit thing as most of our stuff seems to be English food???

Russ

Come on! Tell me you've never yearned for a battered sausage and chips (with cracklin) after a night at the Fox & Goose :laugh: :laugh:
I can honestly I haven’t 😂
Now a chinese, a curry or a burger, that might be a different matter.

And is it really sausage? I always thought fish n chip shops were early adopters of veganism cos I tried one once and I’m pretty certain that’s meat flavoured bread 😆

I came across this sign from Kreuz Market (pronounced "krites" -- rhymes with kites). This used to be universal in Texas, but now it's just a few of the really old-school pits.

Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 5.23.49 PM.png

This kind of Barbecue joint in Texas is way more of a "must try" than Whataburger.

CD

I dont know where this came from but growing up we had pea pie and pud for dinner reasonably regular. Cheap and filling. I still do it often. A family pie , I cut in half to do 2 different meals. Dollop on mashed potatoes on top. Few peas and optional are 2 onion slices and few bits of beetroot. When in UK late 90s for nearly 3 months I never encountered it. I've always assumed it was a brit thing as most of our stuff seems to be English food???

Russ
As over 100% of the first settlers and 80% of subsequent settlers in New Zealand were from the UK and Ireland you can assume a lot of the food influences would have been originally from there but there would have been a lot of changes since the 1800’s 😆

Mind you a lot of New Zealand’s overseas population is still born in the UK, New Zealand is still held in high regard over here and is considered a top pick to run away to!

I came across this sign from Kreuz Market (pronounced "krites" -- rhymes with kites). This used to be universal in Texas, but now it's just a few of the really old-school pits.

View attachment 108823

This kind of Barbecue joint in Texas is way more of a "must try" than Whataburger.

CD

I‘m suspicious there won’t be a slice of lemon and a flower floating in the finger bowl? 😂

As over 100% of the first settlers and 80% of subsequent settlers in New Zealand were from the UK and Ireland you can assume a lot of the food influences would have been originally from there but there would have been a lot of changes since the 1800’s 😆

Mind you a lot of New Zealand’s overseas population is still born in the UK, New Zealand is still held in high regard over here and is considered a top pick to run away to!

Kiwis are well travelled. Among the highest in the world. We also have a green image to the rest of the world.
I love living here.

Russ

Kiwis are well travelled. Among the highest in the world. We also have a green image to the rest of the world.
I love living here.

Russ

Kiwis and Aussies do do a lot of wandering for sure.

It is well known for being very beautiful.

And tbh Jacinda Arden‘s handling of the pandemic didn’t hurt New Zealand‘s image one bit.
Everyone in the UK just kept doing a double take between the breathtaking contrast of competence and incompetence between the two countries leaders.

And tbh Jacinda Arden‘s handling of the pandemic didn’t hurt New Zealand‘s image one bit.
Everyone in the UK just kept doing a double take between the breathtaking contrast of competence and incompetence between the two countries leaders.

Oh, Russ is not going to like this comment one little bit. :laugh:

CD

Kiwis and Aussies do do a lot of wandering for sure.

It is well known for being very beautiful.

Incompetent gooberment definitely here for 6 years .
National gets things done.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom