Need help with Smoked Pork Tasso

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
11:06 AM
caseydog and CraigC and anyone else with a smoker. George has a large Masterbuilt electric smoker. He tried making Tasso and ended up cooking it instead of smoking. How thick do you cut your pork? Do you just season or marinade? How long and at what temperature do you smoke the meat? I have several bone in pork shoulder roast in the freezer. I like having Tasso on hand to use in gumbo, stews, beans and meat casseroles. Your help would be appreciated.

You cure it, first. I got my curing and spice recipe from Charcuterie by Micheal Ruhlman. I smoke the meat down around 200, until the internal temperature is 150 degrees.

I use pork butt sliced about 1/4 inch thick -- maybe a bit more.

CD

You guys are talking gobbily gook to me. Taso?

Russ

Tasso, or Tasso Ham is a spicy cured and smoked pork that is used in a lot of cajun recipes. It is very salty, and quite spicy. It is not something you eat by itself. It is something you dice up and add to dishes such as cajun gumbo for flavoring.

CD

Tasso, or Tasso Ham is a spicy cured and smoked pork that is used in a lot of cajun recipes. It is very salty, and quite spicy. It is not something you eat by itself. It is something you dice up and add to dishes such as cajun gumbo for flavoring.

CD
Gotcha!

Russ

Back
Top Bottom