Nostalgia foods

I find it interesting that members are hung on their sweet tooths for Nostalgia Foods.

I'll have to give a good Sweet Tooth example to accommodate.
I had a doctor's appointment today so I originally read your post on my phone (versus my laptop). For some reason, my brain didn't register the word "foods" and your example of Bazooka got me in the mindset of candies.

There are so many foods I would LOVE to have again but my mother won't share any recipes from my childhood with me. She would rather them be lost forever than share them with me. For this reason, I'm working on recipe books for both of my kids to have when they are adults.

The nostalgic origins of Soda and Cola Drinks go back to Sasafras.

Sarsaparilla, as it was called, was the original patent medicine that we have all seen peddling his concoctions to cowboys in old western movies and at the same time, treated as Cons peddling sham goods. Oddly, you'd be amused to find that Coca Cola was originally marketed as a medicinal.

Sarsaparilla drinks date back to the 16th century. Sarsaparilla Wiki

The original Sarsaparilla drink is not available in the USA due to the FDA declaring elements of Sasafras as carcinogenic. The real thing is still available in Southeast Asian Countries and the Philippines. In the USA, the Sarsaparilla drink that is still sold is made from alternate ingredients.

The first soda pop drink was Root Beer. Root Beer Wiki

Root Beer dates back to the 1840s.

After the introduction of Carbonated Soft Drinks, Sodas and Colas took off in diverse directions. But Soft Drinks first appeared in medieval Mid East and then Europe. Carbonation of mineral water first evolved in the 18th century. Soft Drink Wiki

I have never tried Saraparilla in my life time, but Root Beer, for sure, as well as a lot of different Sodas and Colas. Now, Diabetes has such drinks on the list of evils that include cigarettes.

Incidentally I and my son love sarsaparilla n Coke, was dash of raspberry cordial.

Russ

I had a doctor's appointment today so I originally read your post on my phone (versus my laptop). For some reason, my brain didn't register the word "foods" and your example of Bazooka got me in the mindset of candies.

There are so many foods I would LOVE to have again but my mother won't share any recipes from my childhood with me. She would rather them be lost forever than share them with me. For this reason, I'm working on recipe books for both of my kids to have when they are adults.

I did a copy for my daughter as well of my faves. She's a good cook.

Russ

I'm the same way now. I love chocolate but don't crave it anymore. I still have Halloween candy and a box of Fannie May in my fridge. They were given to me. I rarely buy anything sweet unless it's the occasional cupcake here and there. I always made a deal with myself. I would never buy sweets when grocery shopping. However, if I was willing to get dressed, drive to the store, wait in line to get it, I would treat myself. Otherwise, no go. Guess how many times that has happened in the last 20 years? Twice. ;-)

I usually have maltesers, m and ms, choc peanuts and various others in the pantry for grandkids when they come. I don't eat them. Perhaps that's why I buy them, because we never had treats??

Russ

I usually have maltesers, m and ms, choc peanuts and various others in the pantry for grandkids when they come. I don't eat them. Perhaps that's why I buy them, because we never had treats??

Russ
Maybe. I intended to mention to you that I absolutely love reading your posts about when the grandkids visit. It's so obvious how much you adore them.

Maybe. I intended to mention to you that I absolutely love reading your posts about when the grandkids visit. It's so obvious how much you adore them.

Miss 11 down to mr6 are all very funny kids. They are blessed with great personalities right down to mr6 who's on the spectrum, but in a funny way. He's a magnet to all kids, like a pied piper. I went to his pre school open day, kids followed him everywhere. Just hope he doesn't turn into james Manson,lol.

Russ

Can you guess what else is still alive and well besides Bazooka Joe?

Hostess Twinkies and Ding Dongs

There had been talk a while ago about discontinuing Hostess Twinkies. But apparently there are enough Twinkie addicts out there that when they raised a fuss, the product survived.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjd
Wild smoked Scottish Salmon. Hash cookies. Cox Orange Pippins. Going to London with my Dad to visit family and eating hot salt beef and chips in Blooms Whitechapel.
1610688665804.png

Wild smoked Scottish Salmon. Hash cookies. Cox Orange Pippins. Going to London with my Dad to visit family and eating hot salt beef and chips in Blooms Whitechapel.

I have no idea what Hash Cookies or Cox Orange Pippins are, being born in the USA. But you remind me of some things I miss from growing up in Chicago [next post].

You've probably got to have grown up in Chicago or visited enough times to know about street fast food for the Vienna Sausage Company and an old favorite - Italian Roast Beef Sandwiches with nice greasy Fries. These are Bread Rolls with steamed Roast Beef and if desired, Peppers. The whole sandwich is typically soggy, sort of Au Jus. They are absolutely wonderful eats. I grew up consuming these things. :okay:

TV Dinners, dating back to 1953, are an ultimate Nostalgia Food. You might believe that they don't exist anymore. In truth, they do, just with a different terminology as Frozen Dinners, Frozen Entrees, Microwave Meals or some other naming.

The old TV Dinners came in an aluminum tray with three separate compartments, one for a meat and two others for sides like vegetables and mashed potatoes.

TV Dinners, dating back to 1953, are an ultimate Nostalgia Food. You might believe that they don't exist anymore. In truth, they do, just with a different terminology as Frozen Dinners, Frozen Entrees, Microwave Meals or some other naming.

The old TV Dinners came in an aluminum tray with three separate compartments, one for a meat and two others for sides like vegetables and mashed potatoes.
I remember Salisbury steak as the number one entree, it seemed to me.

You've probably got to have grown up in Chicago or visited enough times to know about street fast food for the Vienna Sausage Company and an old favorite - Italian Roast Beef Sandwiches with nice greasy Fries. These are Bread Rolls with steamed Roast Beef and if desired, Peppers. The whole sandwich is typically soggy, sort of Au Jus. They are absolutely wonderful eats. I grew up consuming these things. :okay:
Oh the humanity! Why are you torturing me like this? LOL I reeeeeeaaaaaaaalllllllly miss Chicago food.

Back
Top Bottom