Nostalgia foods

The beloved Hamburger dates back to the late 19th Century in the USA, where it is argued that they originated. But Germany claims the Hamburger and there is evidence that it dates back considerably earlier (1758 and earlier still). Hamburger Wiki

I figure that Hamburger Buns came into vogue much earlier still.

By contrast, the Hot Dog definitely started in Germany as Frankfurters, as early as the 13th century.

Hot Dog Wiki

Hot Dog Buns, of course, had to be around before the inception of the Hot Dog.

Here's a nice Nostalgia Food item "Caramel Apples." These date back to 1948. They have also been called "Candy Apples" or "Toffee Apples." The American bastardized named evolved from Toffee Apples to be Taffy Apples.

I suppose they are akin to Chocolate covered Bananas in a way.
Candy apples and caramel apples are different, at least here. Caramel apples...covered in caramel. MrsT has several every year, it's a favorite treat.

Candy apples, though, are covered in a hard, candy shell (boiled corn syrup, sugar, etc). Sometimes the hard candy coating is dyed red, sometimes it's clear to show the apple inside.

I just looked it up and learned the name of a dish my mother made when we were growing up. She called it "chipped beef" but it was "hamburger gravy".

She also made Patty Melts (basically a grilled cheese with a hamburger in it).

I also loved real milkshakes and churned ice cream. I don't know of very many places that make them like the kind we had growing up.

Mayonnaise is a wonderful example of a Nostalgia food that dates back to aioli sauces which appeared around 1750 and possibly back to the 14th century in Spain. The true roots of Mayo are in 1745.

Mayonnaise Wiki

If we're moving back to medieval times, I'm reminded of a time when my historian friend helped to put on an Elizabethan-style banquet at Lumley Castle in the north-east of England. Of course, they couldn't do it precisely, because you can't go round knocking off swans and skylarks at will, but they came up with a pretty extensive range. I can't recall the exact menu (it was huge, for one thing), but there was a lot of venison and pig involved, I believe. I seem to recall some rather fancy desserts, too.

Not that my friend indulged in a great deal of it because she was, and is, a vegetarian, but it sounded like good fun (and it was all pre-Lucy, too!).

Last edited:
If we're moving back to medieval times, I'm reminded of a time when my historian friend helped to put on an Elizabethan-style banquet at Lumley Castle in the north-east of England. Of course, they couldn't do it precisely, because you can't go round knocking off swans and skylarks at will, but they came up with a pretty extensive range. I can't recall the exact menu (it was huge, for one thing), but there was a lot of venison and pig involved, I believe. I seem to recall some rather fancy desserts, too.

Not that my friend indulged in a great deal of it because she was, and is, a vegetarian, but it sounded like good fun (and it was all pre-Lucy, too!).

You remind of the fact that I have never had Mead, the Viking's Honey Liquor. But then, there are today, Honey Beers, Ales and Liqueurs. And Mead traces back much earlier than Medieval Vikings, back to 7000 BC in China, of all places.

Mead Wiki

You remind of the fact that I have never had Mead, the Viking's Honey Liquor. But then, there are today, Honey Beers, Ales and Liqueurs. And Mead traces back much earlier than Medieval Vikings, back to 7000 BC in China, of all places.

Mead Wiki
I've had Lindisfarne Mead, brewed (aha!) on Lindisfarne off the Northumberland coast in the north-east of England. It is made at St Aidan's Winery and is very well-known in the UK. Lindisfarne (or Holy Island) isn't a true island, but a tidal one. There is a bus service that runs there from the mainland, so the timetable (or tide-table) has to account for the times of high and low tide.

Personally, I find mead much too sweet for my tastes, but one should try these things at least once.

I've had Lindisfarne Mead, brewed (aha!) on Lindisfarne off the Northumberland coast in the north-east of England. It is made at St Aidan's Winery and is very well-known in the UK. Lindisfarne (or Holy Island) isn't a true island, but a tidal one. There is a bus service that runs there from the mainland, so the timetable (or tide-table) has to account for the times of high and low tide.

Personally, I find mead much too sweet for my tastes, but one should try these things at least once.

As sweet as it must be, I think I'd like to try some as a Coffee sweetener, instead of pure Honey.

The breakfast cereal Cheerios first made its debut in 1941 as CheeriOats. It took on the name Cheerios in 1945.

Cheerios Wiki

Wheaties, the Breakfast of Champions, goes even further back, to 1921.

Wheaties Wiki

Marmite, of course, causes such a divide between likers and haters that its name is often used as a metaphor for something that polarises opinion. It's been around since 1904 and is now owned by the Anglo-Dutch giant Unilever. There are, inevitably, variants in the form of yeast extracts, notably Australia's Vegemite. I imagine there are equivalents in the US.

For the record, I like it.

Marmite, of course, causes such a divide between likers and haters that its name is often used as a metaphor for something that polarises opinion. It's been around since 1904 and is now owned by the Anglo-Dutch giant Unilever. There are, inevitably, variants in the form of yeast extracts, notably Australia's Vegemite. I imagine there are equivalents in the US.

For the record, I like it.

There are no equivalents in the US. And most people outside the UK, Australia and NZ can't stand the stuff. This is no doubt because if they have had it, they used too much. It has to be used sparingly. Vegemite the Aussie version is much gentler and less salty. I love both. Its a classic umami flavour and was (is still?) a by-product from producing beer.

I had a friend that lived close to the Taffy Apple company. Every afternoon they would sell any Taffy Apples that didn't meet standards for $0.25. We would go every time I was in her town.

Here is one from my youth -- New Jersey Boardwalk Salt Water Taffy. No salt in it. Sold on every Boardwalk in NJ. I can get it at the State Fair of Texas, but that's only once a year.

Unknown.jpeg

Assorted.png

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom