Nostalgia foods

Something I remember from my childhood were Black Bullets, boiled sweets that came in black and white tins under the name Jesmona. That name derives from the Jesmond area of Newcastle, the city where I was born. They have been around since 1906 and you can still get them today. I liked them - they have a strong peppermint flavour. It also helped that the tins - clever marketing - came in the black and white colours of Newcastle United, the local football team.

1610738871315.png

I know these are still sold in the UK under the name "Milkybar", but they stopped selling these in Portugal many years ago. These are the chocolates I ate in my teenage years, there was a point in high school where I was eating a small bag of these everyday :laugh:

Here's a Nostalgia Food that dates back to 1920, the Klondike Bar. They are still available today, but in multiple flavors. These Ice Cream Bars used to be only Vanilla covered in Chocolate.

Klondike Bar Wiki

I would love to have one of these today!

Did you know that M&M Candies dated back to 1936 and the M&M immediate predecessors were used to allow soldiers in the Spanish Civil War to carry Chocolate without it melting on hot days. The actual M&M Candies first appeared in the USA in 1940 and have been a common treat for so many people that hardly anybody has not had them.

M&Ms Wiki

There are three ice cream treats I really like:

1. Magnum White bar
2. Strawberry shortcake bar
3. A particular brand of smooth peanut butter ice cream with a ribbon of peanut butter running through it

I sometimes get a hankering for a Snickers ice cream bar. I also like Hagen Daz coffee ice cream.

CD

Can I learn that superpower?
I have been known to walk into an ice cream parlor, purchase a single ice cream cone for my wife (usually butter pecan), get nothing for myself, bring it out to her, and and when she would say, "Do you want to try it?" - just shake my head no and hand it over.

Ice cream definitely is not my kryptonite. Pizza, OTOH...

I sometimes get a hankering for a Snickers ice cream bar. I also like Hagen Daz coffee ice cream.

CD

I have at times just liked frozen Snickers Bars. Snickers is a great Nostalgia Food item, dating back to its introduction in 1930.

Here's a nice Nostalgia Food item "Caramel Apples." These date back to 1948. They have also been called "Candy Apples" or "Toffee Apples." The American bastardized named evolved from Toffee Apples to be Taffy Apples.

I suppose they are akin to Chocolate covered Bananas in a way.

Here's a nice Nostalgia Food item "Caramel Apples." These date back to 1948. They have also been called "Candy Apples" or "Toffee Apples." The American bastardized named evolved from Toffee Apples to be Taffy Apples.

I suppose they are akin to Chocolate covered Bananas in a way.
I had a friend that lived close to the Taffy Apple company. Every afternoon they would sell any Taffy Apples that didn't meet standards for $0.25. We would go every time I was in her town.

Back
Top Bottom