Oeuf Mayo (egg mayo) vs Deviled Eggs?

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
3:54 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
These are deviled eggs, a simple preparation where the yolk is blended with mayo and then placed back in the egg white:

493246395.jpg

These are oeuf mayo, a simple preparation where the yolk is blended with mayo and then placed back in the egg white:

OIP.jpg

I understand that there's a bit of a seasoning difference between the two. But, why are deviled eggs considered low-brow - a thing just about anyone can make - whereas the oeuf mayo is considered a beloved preparation found in fancy French restaurants? I've done searches of the two to see if anyone is talking about them together, and I found...nothing. There are no articles comparing the two, when they are clearly very similar: both use eggs, mayo, and mustard.

There's a l’Association de sauvegarde de l’oeuf mayonnaise (Egg Mayonnaise Protection Society), but I have seen no mention of deviled eggs in anything I've read about the society. It reminds me of Mark Twain's The Prince and the Pauper, about two similar boys who change places without people realizing it.

Can someone please explain this to me?

Can someone please explain this to me?
In a nutshell (eggshell?), the French ones are highly regarded because they’re French ones, and the American ones are low-brow because they’re American ones. It’s all in the marketing and the perception.

For me, “egg mayonnaise” means lovely little tea sandwiches!

The classic' l'oeuf mayonnaise' does not use the yolk blended with mayonnaise and then returned to 'stuff' the white. The half hard boiled egg is intact and the mayonnaise sits on top of the half egg. It is often served with the half egg face down and then coated in the mayonnaise. Its a dish that has fallen out of fashion really...

The panel of judges followed a strict set of criteria: the eggs must be cooked through but not overdone, with a yolk which is firm but still moist, and the mayonnaise must be homemade, coating the egg with a little extra to spare. A variety of spices, seasonings and vegetables can be added.
How to make egg mayonnaise like a world champion | Taste of France

Egg mayonnaise is also the name of a common sandwich filler (chpped hard boiled eggs mixed with mayonnaise) as TastyReuben mentions above.

Devilled eggs (stuffed eggs) don't have to be made using mayonnaise. You can mix all sorts of things with the yolk to produce stuffed eggs. I sometimes use a little plain yoghurt plus spices or herbs, for example.

Last edited:
Soooo, what we call egg salad sandwiches, but with the crusts removed and served with tea?

CD

Not really. Its of American origin as sandwich filler I believe. I've never eaten it or bought it but I think supermarkets might sell it in tubs here.

Soooo, what we call egg salad sandwiches, but with the crusts removed and served with tea?

CD
This is my definition only, so I don’t expect any arguments about what is or isn’t egg this or that, but when I make egg salad (for sandwiches), there’s egg, and mayonnaise, a little onion or shallot, some celery, and maybe even a little dill pickle in there.

When I make egg mayonnaise for tea sandwiches, it’s egg…and mayonnaise. The only other addition is a little something green, like cress or baby arugula or chives or scallion tops.

The cost of eggs here in cowboyville is outrageous!
I was going to cook up some hard boiled eggs to bring along with us on our stay-cation, but this hotel offers a free hot breakfast buffet each day.
Eggs are high everywhere in the US right now because the flocks haven't recovered from the Avian Flu completely. Some of the chooks should be ready to lay pretty soon, so hopefully the cost will go down, especially with fuel going down and inflation beginning to stabilize.

Not really. Its of American origin as sandwich filler I believe. I've never eaten it or bought it but I think supermarkets might sell it in tubs here.
I’m sure I’ve said this before, but whenever we visit England, the first the we do is have a full English breakfast, usually in the airport, and that evening’s first meal is always egg mayonnaise and cheese-and-pickle sandwiches, crisps, and bottled beer from a corner shop. It’s tradition for us!

....and that's because you don't like mayonnaise, right?

Not really - I make stuffed eggs sometimes for for other people who can eat mayonnaise so I have used it. The usual American recipe for devilled eggs uses mayonnaise but the concept of stuffed eggs includes a much wider range of possibilities. Cream cheese can be used instead or even simply the egg yolk and spices/herbs. A slightly soft hard boiled egg yolk doesn't necessarily need a creamy binder.

Not really - I make stuffed eggs sometimes for for other people who can eat mayonnaise so I have used it. The usual American recipe for devilled eggs uses mayonnaise but the concept of stuffed eggs includes a much wider range of possibilities. Cream cheese can be used instead or even simply the egg yolk and spices/herbs. A slightly soft hard boiled egg yolk doesn't necessarily need a creamy binder.
I (and everyone else in my family) are conditioned to the traditional mayo/mustard combination. I tend to use more mustard than the average person. I would love an extra yolky mayonnaise, maybe sometime I will try kewpie (Japanese) mayonnaise which is made only from yolks. I wouldn't be opposed to trying cream cheese or yogurt, but our cream cheese in the US is so thick that I would have to warm it in order to get it to blend properly. Also, how do those flavors meld with mustard? I do love the mustard flavor!

I (and everyone else in my family) are conditioned to the traditional mayo/mustard combination. I tend to use more mustard than the average person. I would love an extra yolky mayonnaise, maybe sometime I will try kewpie (Japanese) mayonnaise which is made only from yolks. I wouldn't be opposed to trying cream cheese or yogurt, but our cream cheese in the US is so thick that I would have to warm it in order to get it to blend properly. Also, how do those flavors meld with mustard? I do love the mustard flavor!

I looked for years for Kewpie mayo, found it, and don't like it. :rolleyes:

Buy whipped cream cheese and try that.

CD

I looked for years for Kewpie mayo, found it, and don't like it. :rolleyes:

Buy whipped cream cheese and try that.

CD
I love kewpie mayonnaise. I used it in the recipe challenge entry and with the sriracha, it was magnificent. But I also like sushi and cilantro, and I hate sweet potatoes, so we definitely have different tastes.

Back
Top Bottom