Oeuf Mayo (egg mayo) vs Deviled Eggs?

I suspect it´s a bit of snobbery, and to me, French cuisine has always implied food that´s a cut above the rest. Yes, I´m eternally grateful to the French for establishing all the rules and techniques of haute cuisine, but I still get the impression that "French" is always considered "the best"
Soupe a L´oignon - or onion soup?
Boeuf Bourgignon - or beef stew?
Poulet Chasseur - or Hunter´s Chicken?
:happy: :happy: :happy:

I suspect it´s a bit of snobbery, and to me, French cuisine has always implied food that´s a cut above the rest. Yes, I´m eternally grateful to the French for establishing all the rules and techniques of haute cuisine, but I still get the impression that "French" is always considered "the best"
Soupe a L´oignon - or onion soup?
Boeuf Bourgignon - or beef stew?
Poulet Chasseur - or Hunter´s Chicken?
:happy: :happy: :happy:
Funny how people perceive things like language. To the French is just names they've given to the food they cook, which most are derived from rural peasant origins.

Funny how people perceive things like language. To the French is just names they've given to the food they cook, which most are derived from rural peasant origins.
Oh, I’m sure a lot of that snobbery comes from the people who aren’t French serving a French dish, and it doesn’t have to be French. For some folks, they look better if they’re serving something with an “exotic” (to them) name versus whatever it’s called in their culture.

I can’t even buy green beans anymore, but I can sure find a lot of “haricots verts!” :laugh:

I can’t even buy green beans anymore, but I can sure find a lot of “haricots verts!” :laugh:
Interesting because where I live I might see haricot verts in the supermarket twice a year. Beans of all varieties are now just hitting the farmers stands, bought some yesterday. Cheers.

Any cuisine that cherishes butter more than water gets a big 👍 from me, lol.

Last edited:
Interesting because where I live I might see haricot verts in the supermarket twice a year. Beans of all varieties are now just hitting the farmers stands, bought some yesterday. Cheers.

Any cuisine that cherishes butter more than water gets a big 👍 from me, lol.
Here, if it’s a green bean, any old green bean, it’s going to get labeled “haricots verts,” because you can charge $5.99 for a bag of those, but only $2.99 for “green beans.” :laugh:

About French food in general

Are you saying people don't know the difference?
Yes, and I’d also say (from personal experience) you’re likely to have a fellow shopper in the frozen food aisle ask you “Will these things <meaning a bag labeled ‘haricots verts’> work for green beans, because I can’t find those anywhere.”

My advice to the world: if anyone divides food into "low-brow" and "high-brow" categories, you can safely ignore every opinion they have.
I actually have a bit of food snobbery in me, but it's not about terminology. I prefer lobster to shrimp, I like ribeye and filet mignon (or porterhouse) over sirloin. flat iron, or flank steak, and so forth, and of course some preparation methods are just too fantastic to ignore. I also would always rather have fresh homebaked bread, pies, cookies, cakes, and more over something from the supermarket. And sushi created by a trained sushi chef is so wonderful!

So yeah, I would consider McDonald's hamburgers to be low-brow and one made from scratch at home (or some other restaurants like Five Guys) using a high quality ground meat to be more in the high-brow category (if anyone can consider a burger to be high-brow). Well actually, at home we sometimes use well-seasoned ground filet mignon and always use bacon, and most of the time it goes on a toasted Brioche bun with high quality cheese (my husband likes bleu cheese and I prefer an aged white cheddar). And if I had to choose between Taco Bell and Chipotle..well there would be no contest, I just won't eat at Taco Bell!

When the French came over to England with Willy the Conqueror, French was established as the language of the " upper" classes (ie. the court and all the lords, ladies, barons, earls, etc.)
The plebs carried on speaking Anglo Saxon.
The French were in power for about 400 years, during which time the Brits had to learn that there was no such thing as roast cow, roast pig or roast sheep, rather "Boeuf" (beef), "porc" (pork) and "mouton" (mutton)
Using French words when speaking English can, occasionally, be perceived as being a bit snobby, perhaps? - "just a little bit of je ne sais quoi"; "that´s a little bit "passé"; We´ve just bought a "pied-a-terre" in Provence; Nice fellow but a bit "gauche".
:D :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom