1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
115g butter
115g golden syrup
115g black treacle
115g brown sugar
225ml milk
2 medium eggs

Method
1 x 8in fixed bottom round cake tin greased and lined with greaseproof paper.
The tin needs a fixed base because the mixture is very runny. If you don’t have one, use a loaf tin.
Preheat the oven to 180°c / 350°f / gas mark 4.
Sift the gluten free flour, maize flour, ground almonds, baking powder, mixed spice, ginger and bicarbonate of soda together four times to fully incorporate the ingredients.
Place the butter, golden syrup, black treacle and brown sugar into a saucepan and warm on the stove slowly until the ingredients are melted, leave to cool slightly.
Beat the eggs with the milk.
Stir the melted sugar mixture into the flour.
Stir in the egg and milk mixture, the mixture will be quite runny.
Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for 45 to 50 minutes until a knife inserted comes out clean. The cake may sink in the middle, this is common and the cake is fine.
Leave in the tin for 10 minutes before turning the cake out onto a plate lined with greased greaseproof paper, then onto a cooling wire.
While the cake is still hot, I warm some golden syrup and brush it over the top of the cake to soak into the sponge.

To make this recipe dairy free...
Use dairy free margarine in place of butter and dairy free milk in place of milk (Almond Milk).

http://www.icedgembakes.co.uk/gluten-free-and-dairy-free-baking-recipes/old-fashioned-ginger-cake/

Mmmm! The ingredient list had me at ginger and mixed spice - love those flavors, so this sounds like something I would enjoy.

Might give it a whirl for Christmas, I think it sounds nice and warming/wintery!

I am with you on this one. The flavours seem smack on. I am a ginger fan and that's what really prompted to me head to the thread. We'll just part on preparing it for the season. Maybe sometime down the road. I have so much catching up to do on attempting recipes, and while I like how it sounds, lots of cooking recipes will precede this.

Back
Top Bottom