Recipe Parsnip, Black Bean and Edamame salad with Lime Leaf dressing

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:47 AM
I've been thinking every which way about how to use parsnips in different ways for the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. Parsnips have a sweet earthy flavour which is enhanced by cooking them. In this salad they are combined the the earthy, smokey taste of black beans and the nutty taste of edamame beans. Edamame beans are immature soya beans harvested in the pod. I can buy them frozen in the UK in major supermarkets. The lime leaves, I have to order on the internet as a frozen product but they defrost beautifully as you can see in the photograph. The idea of infusing the lime leaf in the parsnip water came to me as I was cooking the parsnips. I tasted the parsnip water and realised it had a beautiful taste of parsnip! Too good to waste. If you can't lay your hands on lime leaves then use lime zest and a little lime juice instead.

DSCF2509.jpg

Ingredients
Equal amounts of the following:
Boiled parsnip cut into bite sized chunks
Cooked black beans (I used canned)
Cooked Edamame beans (I used frozen)
A few lime leaves
Vegetable oil
A few tablespoons of water reserved from the boiled parsnips.

Method
To make the dressing, place a lime leaf in the parsnip water and heat gently in a saucepan. Allow to cool slightly and whisk in equal parts of oil. Add salt to taste.

Mix all the ingredients in the dressing and garnish with lime leaves.

DSCF2511.jpg

Last edited:
You could totally be on one of those Masterchef mystery box challenges...love that you put the parsnip water to good use! I think that's one of the marks of an excellent cook, if you ask me! I could definitely rustle up the beans and edamame here...but you know, I don't think I've seen a single parsnip since I've been in Japan!

Back
Top Bottom