Pet Peeves

By the way, are those ants something that happens as often as mosquito bites? That must suvk MAJOR
Depends. Most of the time it's when you accidentally step on their nest. They immediately swarm and you get dozens or even hundreds of bites depending on how big the nest is and how slow you are getting away from it, and how you get them off. If you are lucky, you are near a hose or a pool or a lake and can wash them off with water. If you have to.brush them off with your hands, you get bit there too. But 1 of the worst incidents I had was I was sitting on the floor and watching TV IN THE HOUSE and got attacked. Before I knew it, they were all over my legs. I'm guessing they were migrating/swarming to a new nest.

What's really bad is if you are with a little kid or a pet and they stumble into a nest. Then you've got at least 2 to get them off.

Where we live now they aren't bad thank goodness. They are really hard to get rid of. You have to buy special fire ant bait killer to kill them and that usually takes several doses, or drive them off by constantly using water to flood their nest, but all that does is drive them into a neighbor's yard, which goes over real well. It's illegal, but I've known people that pour gasoline on the nests to get rid of them.

Yes, torture is a good word because they burn when you are first bitten for quite a few minutes and then they itch horribly while healing. They form little pustules like zits and lord help you if there's a bit of venom encapsulated in there because if you scratch and break it open then the cycle starts all over again.

Last edited:
Cooking/culinary pet peeves:
  • Putting the word "Jamaican" or "Jerk" on some inauthentic recipe and trying to sell it as a Jamaican dish. My usual response, if I can respond in person is "Oh Really? I AM Jamaican, please tell me the origins of your dish and which Parish you grew up in?" :banghead:
  • Assuming that Rum is supposed to be sweet because it is distilled from cane juice or molasses... I am very eager to educate on this one and have done many a rum tasting at my house for guests.
  • Wasting food, I hate to see it. If you filled your plate and only ate half of it (or less!) and I see you throwing food away, I'm asking what was wrong with the food out of genuine concern.
I think your first complaint is common with EVERYONE. We all know our own culture the best (3-dimensional) but *see* other cultural differences in 2-dimensions and it doesn't just happen with culture, it's everywhere. For instance,

* My ex works in aviation. It was impossible to watch a movie with an airplane in it because he would pause it and start b*tching that they inside of the cabin isn't the right one for the outside photos of the plane. Who cares? It's a movie dude! LOL

* I was born and raised in Chicago, IL. My father was a Chicago police officer so we had to live within city limits. It doesn't matter where I am or who I'm talking to, the moment I say that I'm from Chicago, the other person says "that's a bad place. There are gangs on every corner!" There's not. One guy in North Carolina actually asked me if I ever met Al Capone!

I've never had rum so I don't know what is going on with that in your world.

I agree about people wasting food. I think it's fairly common in areas where people aren't food poor. As US Americans we take far too much for granted and many look down on others. One time, I was having lunch with a friend in downtown Chicago. It was an outdoor cafe so we were sitting outside. A homeless person walked up to the table and politely asked if he could have our leftovers. By that point, it was clear that we were done eating. My friend got annoyed and shouted at him. He apologized for the intrusion and started to walk away. I went to get my wallet so I could buy him a meal and she started yelling at me. She took my plate and dumped it on hers and then put all of it in the nearby trash can while yelling at him that he could pick through the garbage if he was so hungry. I was absolutely floored by her actions. I distanced myself from her after that.

It still makes me tear up when I think of that. Yes, some people make bad choices and end up on the streets but it's not my place to judge. I would rather feed a scammer than not help a truly hungry person.

Mosquitos. And being mildly allergic to them, so getting huge welts every time they sting me.. I had four at the same time tonight.

I feel your pain... er, itch. The mosquitos are terrible where I live. To do yard work, I have to wear long pants, and spray my arms done with DEET. Even with all that, I still get a bite or two somewhere I didn't protect.

Get some Benadryl gel to rub on the bites. It takes a few minutes to work, but it does work.

CD

I'm sorry. Have you ever tried planting lemongrass? I planted some on my deck and it helped. I also used an organic oil to rub on my kids because I didn't want to spray "Off" around them.

Those "natural" repellants don't work against the mutant ninja mosquitos we have here. It has to have DEET (Deep Woods OFF), and even then I got a bite on my arm a few days ago, which was covered in OFF.

CD

I think your first complaint is common with EVERYONE. We all know our own culture the best (3-dimensional) but *see* other cultural differences in 2-dimensions and it doesn't just happen with culture, it's everywhere. For instance,

* My ex works in aviation. It was impossible to watch a movie with an airplane in it because he would pause it and start b*tching that they inside of the cabin isn't the right one for the outside photos of the plane. Who cares? It's a movie dude! LOL

* I was born and raised in Chicago, IL. My father was a Chicago police officer so we had to live within city limits. It doesn't matter where I am or who I'm talking to, the moment I say that I'm from Chicago, the other person says "that's a bad place. There are gangs on every corner!" There's not. One guy in North Carolina actually asked me if I ever met Al Capone!

I've never had rum so I don't know what is going on with that in your world.

I agree about people wasting food. I think it's fairly common in areas where people aren't food poor. As US Americans we take far too much for granted and many look down on others. One time, I was having lunch with a friend in downtown Chicago. It was an outdoor cafe so we were sitting outside. A homeless person walked up to the table and politely asked if he could have our leftovers. By that point, it was clear that we were done eating. My friend got annoyed and shouted at him. He apologized for the intrusion and started to walk away. I went to get my wallet so I could buy him a meal and she started yelling at me. She took my plate and dumped it on hers and then put all of it in the nearby trash can while yelling at him that he could pick through the garbage if he was so hungry. I was absolutely floored by her actions. I distanced myself from her after that.

It still makes me tear up when I think of that. Yes, some people make bad choices and end up on the streets but it's not my place to judge. I would rather feed a scammer than not help a truly hungry person.

I haven't been to Chicago in ten years or more, but the "panhandlers" there were aggressive. I don't carry cash, and told a guy that in Chicago, and he got up in my face and called me a liar -- along with a tirade of profanity. Thing is, I really didn't have any cash to give him.

In Dallas, homeless and other poor people can hold a sign, a cup, or even politely ask if someone can spare some change. That's it. That guy I last encountered in Chicago would get arrested in Dallas.

BTW, I generally prefer to buy someone some food than to give them money that they may just use to buy booze or crack.

CD

I have a minor pet peeve when I see someone in a movie, often an extra, pretending to be a professional photographer/photo-journalist, and they are holding their camera all wrong. Seems like SOMEBODY on the set could show them how to hold a camera the way a real professional would.

Don't get me started on how a car in the movies or on TV can hit another car and do a flip and roll as if they hit a ramp... which is how the stunt driver really got the car to flip and roll. It's even more annoying if the car bursts into flames in mid-air.

CD

Those "natural" repellants don't work against the mutant ninja mosquitos we have here. It has to have DEET (Deep Woods OFF), and even then I got a bite on my arm a few days ago, which was covered in OFF.

CD
I used eucalyptus oil tonight and got stung zero times. I find it often works better than deet.

Keeping some eucalyptus plants near windows repels them too. But at peak season I often need deet, citronella, and eucalyptus to keep em away

CD
We suffer from imported Tiger mosquitos, those are the ones causing me those huge welts. The one on my knee is currently as big as a mandarin orange in diameter.

Aedes albopictus - Wikipedia

It's because I live near the biggest import hub in the country.

CD
Ninja mosquitoes is so funny! Truth be told, I wouldn't last 4 seconds in your neck of the woods. I went to LA to visit a friend. I was standing between the two sets of automatic doors at the airport. The outside doors opened, I got body slammed by the heat and was certain I just entered Hell. That and those crazy flying bugs...Nope. Just nope. LOL

I haven't been to Chicago in ten years or more, but the "panhandlers" there were aggressive. I don't carry cash, and told a guy that in Chicago, and he got up in my face and called me a liar -- along with a tirade of profanity. Thing is, I really didn't have any cash to give him.

In Dallas, homeless and other poor people can hold a sign, a cup, or even politely ask if someone can spare some change. That's it. That guy I last encountered in Chicago would get arrested in Dallas.

BTW, I generally prefer to buy someone some food than to give them money that they may just use to buy booze or crack.

CD
I understand that. I usually will buy someone food over giving them cash. I knew a couple of guys that panhandled for a living and they were both alcoholics.

My angst was caused by the WAY she handled. Why put food in the trash versus just handing it to the guy? There is no reason to treat people that way but I'm silly like that. I treat people the way I would like to be treated.

I have a minor pet peeve when I see someone in a movie, often an extra, pretending to be a professional photographer/photo-journalist, and they are holding their camera all wrong. Seems like SOMEBODY on the set could show them how to hold a camera the way a real professional would.

Don't get me started on how a car in the movies or on TV can hit another car and do a flip and roll as if they hit a ramp... which is how the stunt driver really got the car to flip and roll. It's even more annoying if the car bursts into flames in mid-air.

CD
This is why we will never be able to watch a movie together!!! All you professionals would be arguing over what's not real when I'm trying to escape reality!!! :p:

* FWIW I went to Chicago for work 2-3 years ago and I really liked it!
** You hit the nail on the head with that story of the leftovers, probably good that you distanced yourself from that person afterwards :whistling:

CD
My GF won't watch television with me..I always critique things way to much for her..I say things like "ya, right! That would never happen" or "As if!"..you know, smart ass stuff.....she usually pauses it until I leave...I love relationships...

My GF won't watch television with me..I always critique things way to much for her..I say things like "ya, right! That would never happen" or "As if!"..you know, smart ass stuff.....she usually pauses it until I leave...I love relationships...

My ex-wife loved to watch Murder, She Wrote. I hated it, but watched it for her.

I came up with a fun trick. About 15 minutes into the 1 hour show, I would say, "I know who did it." Then I would go to another room and write the names of the four most likely murderers on Post-It notes, and put one in each pocket of my pants, remembering who was in each pocket.

When the big reveal came, I would reach into the appropriate pocket, and pull out the piece of paper with the murderer on it. She would be amazed, and enthusiastically ask, "How did you know???" :laugh:

CD

Back
Top Bottom