Pet Peeves

Current pet peeves:

People who start sentences with a redundant 'so'. Its become prevalent across the English speaking world and even respected journalists are now doing it. To my horror, I even found myself doing it the other day. It is said to be a pausing technique to allow the gathering of thoughts - (like 'um') but I've noticed it cropping up in email, texts and forum posts as well as the spoken word.

The term 'healthy foods'. Its meaningless.

The term 'unhealthy foods'. What is deemed unhealthy changes too often to be meaningful.

Someone who has a phone in their hand, actively using it, and asking me things like, "What time is it?" or "What's the temp out?"

You've got a device in your hands that'll tell you that more quickly than you can ask the sentence...use it!

Current pet peeves:

People who start sentences with a redundant 'so'. Its become prevalent across the English speaking world and even respected journalists are now doing it. To my horror, I even found myself doing it the other day. It is said to be a pausing technique to allow the gathering of thoughts - (like 'um') but I've noticed it cropping up in email, texts and forum posts as well as the spoken word.

The term 'healthy foods'. Its meaningless.

The term 'unhealthy foods'. What is deemed unhealthy changes too often to be meaningful.

So, I resemble that remark. I don't use it as a pausing technique. It has more of a humor or satire element for me, such as... "So, I hear you're moving to Hollywood to be an actor."

CD

So, I resemble that remark. I don't use it as a pausing technique. It has more of a humor or satire element for me, such as... "So, I hear you're moving to Hollywood to be an actor."

CD

That is different. That is witty (wicked) sarcasm where 'so' is used to imply a background story. I'm talking about the use of 'so' in a meaningless way. For example:

'So I was thinking about cooking a curry today' The use of 'so' has no meaning there. Why not just say, 'I was thinking about cooking a curry today'?

0A650EF1-9C12-409A-948E-F0ACE0480F2C.jpeg

Avocado toast.

As soon as I heard about it, I hated it. Not because I don’t love avocados, which I do and, not because I don’t love toast, which I do. It’s just the notion that something is trendy automatically makes me hate it.

The fact that it’s something I really enjoy bothers me. How can I love something that is also trendy? Part of me hates myself for enjoying it so much.

It’s just the notion that something is trendy automatically makes me hate it.
I'm exactly the same way, and it's not helped by the smugness that some people have when talking about it:

"Oh, I just live for avo-toe!" Oh, you don't know what that is? It's avocado toast, honey, and it's my passion! I've loved it ever since I found out about it 10 minutes ago from all my faux-trendy friends! You really need to keep up on things...now where's that matcha frappe-latte smoothie I ordered?" :laugh:

I agree with you there. Trendy food is boring. Remember when it was balsamic vinegar and sundried tomatoes, and every, single TV chef had them in every recipe? Then there was Rachel Ray with her EVOO, which again, got used for everything in sight - any self-respecting Italian chef was probably cringing each time!
I have to admit eating avocado on toast, with 2 poached eggs, in London a couple of years back. Delish, but no big deal.
The worst "trendy" food of all time? CUPCAKES!! AARRGGHH!:wacky::watching::eek::eek: My mum used to make them twice a week, no recipe, they were our go-to school snack. No big deal. All of a sudden, a cupcake is a gourmet treat because it´s got some flashy colouring on top - and a gourmet price to go with it.

There was/is a cooking show, I can't remember the name, but it was set up more like one of those daytime chat shows, like The View, where the five or so food celebrities sat around and talked a little, cooked a little, joked a little, etc.

I'd hate-watch it occasionally, just to get good and mad about something, and the bit that made me the angriest was their "I'm So Over It" segment (I don't know if that's what it was called, but that's what it was) - they'd go around the table and trash some trendy thing, like:

"So, tell us, Jack, what are you so over? What's worn out it's welcome with you?"

"You know, Tyler, I gotta say...it has to be...pomegranate seeds! Everywhere you go now! No matter what you order! They're putting pomegranate seeds on it! Enough! Enough with the pomegranate seeds!"

"I hear you, Jack! And what's with all these different names now, like 'pomegranate jewels' and 'pomegranate drops' and all that? They're seeds, people! Pom. Egranite. Seeds! Just call 'em what they are!"

You'd think I'd enjoy that, right? Wrong! Why? Because last week, they made a cocktail with pomegranate seeds, and the week before, they made a dessert with pomegranate seeds, and the week before that, they threw them in a salad! You idiots are guilty of what you're raging against! 😠:laugh:

The worst "trendy" food of all time? CUPCAKES!! AARRGGHH!:wacky::watching::eek::eek: My mum used to make them twice a week, no recipe, they were our go-to school snack. No big deal. All of a sudden, a cupcake is a gourmet treat because it´s got some flashy colouring on top - and a gourmet price to go with it.

I couldn't agree with that more. We used to call called them fairy cakes in the UK, which is actually a prettier and more fanciful nomenclature than 'cupcake'. Thankfully, I think the cupcake frenzy has passed. There was also the macaroon tend. Tricky to make and frankly nothing more than a fleeting kiss in terms of flavour satiation. But hey, they looked pretty.

I couldn't agree with that more. We used to call called them fairy cakes in the UK, which is actually a prettier and more fanciful nomenclature than 'cupcake'. Thankfully, I think the cupcake frenzy has passed. There was also the macaroon tend. Tricky to make and frankly nothing more than a fleeting kiss in terms of flavour satiation. But hey, they looked pretty.
Here, the cupcake trend also spawned the equally annoying cake-pop trend - little cake lollipops.

Also related to cupcakes...the trend of cupcake cakes, where you take a tray of cupcakes, then smear frosting over the whole lot to make it look like a single large cake, and then there's no need to slice anything, everyone just grabs a cupcake with their dirty little mitts.

You all have opened my Pandora's box of complaints! :laugh:

Is this rant limited to just food-related stuff? If not, here's one:

I get emails from various work entities that include lots of people, and if I'm on it, it's pretty much guaranteed my coworkers and my managers are on it.

However, one manager forwards it to all of us anyway, so I get two copies of something I really don't want, and heaven forbid if it's something that is of interest, because one coworker will respond to the original email, and another one will respond to the forwarded email, and now we've got two threads of conversation going on about the same thing.

However, one manager forwards it to all of us anyway, so I get two copies of something I really don't want, and heaven forbid if it's something that is of interest, because one coworker will respond to the original email, and another one will respond to the forwarded email, and now we've got two threads of conversation going on about the same thing.
That´s one of the reasons I quit Corporate America. Too many stupid e-mails, everyone covering their a** !:happy::happy::happy:

Back
Top Bottom