Pet Peeves

There was/is a cooking show, I can't remember the name, but it was set up more like one of those daytime chat shows, like The View, where the five or so food celebrities sat around and talked a little, cooked a little, joked a little, etc.

Are you referring to The Chew? Mario Batali, Michael Simon, Daphne Oz (Dr. Oz's daughter -- he's a TV sneeze), and two others I'm drawing a blank on.

The show got cancelled after Batali got "me too'd."

CD

Are you referring to The Chew? Mario Batali, Michael Simon, Daphne Oz (Dr. Oz's daughter -- he's a TV sneeze), and two others I'm drawing a blank on.

The show got cancelled after Batali got "me too'd."

CD
I found it. It's not that one, it's "The Kitchen," with Jeff Mauro, Sunny Anderson, Katie Lee, Geoffrey Zakarian, and Marcela Valladolid.

The term 'healthy foods'. Its meaningless.

The term 'unhealthy foods'. What is deemed unhealthy changes too often to be meaningful.

Exactly. So much of what brands a food as healthy is how it's marketed. Who does the marketing? Not mom and pop stores selling vegetables straight from the farm. There's a TV series charmingly called "While the Rest of Us Die", which is about how mega corporations pull the strings in our society, and how things that affect most of us don't affect them so much. In this episode (Season 2, Episode 3, called "Food Kills") they showed how big companies spin their advertising such that we start to believe that their processed food is healthier than natural foods:

Killing Power

Re. Cooking shows - I first started watching Food TV waaay back in 1996 - 97. It was fascinating watching superstars like Batali, Michael Rosengarten, John Ash, Mary-Sue Milliken,Emeril Lagasse, Michael Lamonoco - and even Bobby Flay:eek: making new, exciting dishes.
These days, it all seems to be based on stupid competitions, challenging a famous chef, or trying to make an impossible 3 course meal in 30 minutes. "Buddy vs Drew - a total joke, because who on earth is going to make a full-sized Dinosaur cake for their kid´s birthday??
As for Marketing, you can blame that for every culinary mishap and misunderstanding in the last 20 years. As the Late Night Gourmet so rightly points out, it´s often big corporations twisting the language to sell their product. Things like Cheez Whiz - with real cheese! and Lo-fat, lo-sodium Ranch Salad dressing really get under my skin. I don´t doubt their claims are politically correct, but when you look at the ingredients list, it´s a whole load of processed stuff with added chemicals to boot.
What really gets my gander is restaurant dishes like Chicken Fettucine Alfredo with wild mushrooms or Authentic Caesar Salad with smoked turkey, bacon and oven-roasted artichokes. Neither one is Fettucine Alfredo nor Caesar Salad:cool::cool:

Exactly. So much of what brands a food as healthy is how it's marketed. Who does the marketing? Not mom and pop stores selling vegetables straight from the farm. There's a TV series charmingly called "While the Rest of Us Die", which is about how mega corporations pull the strings in our society, and how things that affect most of us don't affect them so much. In this episode (Season 2, Episode 3, called "Food Kills") they showed how big companies spin their advertising such that we start to believe that their processed food is healthier than natural foods:

Killing Power
Corporations messing with nutrition is one of those rare cases of the conspiracy theory that wound up being absolutely true. But the problem is even worse: it opens the floodgates for snake oil salesmen to come along and take advantage of the confusion. "The government and corporations are LYING to you! I can tell you the truth! For just 79.99 a month, you can join my exclusive gold member tier and learn what THEY don't want you to know!" Or "Food labels are a SCAM! Your body deserves better! Like my nutritionally balanced meal replacement shakes! 15% off if you subscribe in the next 30 minutes!"

CALL CENTERS! American companies outsource call center work to Asia/India, because they can pay the workers a fraction of what it costs to pay an American.

I just spent hours trying to change my routing number and account number at the places where I have payments set up on autopay -- thanks PNC Bank for messing up yet another day for me.

I spent most of it on the phone, dealing with people who have a limited grasp of English.

GRRRRRR!!!!! :mad:

CD

CALL CENTERS! American companies outsource call center work to Asia/India, because they can pay the workers a fraction of what it costs to pay an American.

I just spent hours trying to change my routing number and account number at the places where I have payments set up on autopay -- thanks PNC Bank for messing up yet another day for me.

I spent most of it on the phone, dealing with people who have a limited grasp of English.

GRRRRRR!!!!! :mad:

CD

Not exactly the same thing, but this sketch on SNL captures the frustration of a customer trying to cancel their cable television. Customer service is definitely at an all-time low.

Using the term “a minute” to refer to a short amount of time.

Example: “I haven’t been there in a minute.”

This doesn’t mean 60 seconds. It means that the person maybe hasn’t been there in a few days. I hear young people use this expression all the time. Very annoying, because I live with two young people.

I've never heard anyone say that. It doesn't make grammatical sense.

What I do hear and say myself is 'can you give me a minute' or 'I'll be with you in a minute' when I mean 'shortly'.

I’m starting to hear people in their 20s use this on TV. The world is global these days, so you will probably start hearing it used this way. Or, you may have heard it and thought the meaning was literal. Sharing ideas globally isn’t always a good thing. :laugh:

I’m starting to hear people in their 20s use this on TV. The world is global these days, so you will probably start hearing it used this way. Or, you may have heard it and thought the meaning was literal. Sharing ideas globally isn’t always a good thing. :laugh:
There was a similar nonsensical thing I used to hear around my wife's hometown in upstate NY:

"Jack went to the store earlier. So didn't I."

What that would actually mean is, "Jack went to the store earlier. So did I." - I used to tease my SIL who used it that way by asking, "What would you say if you actually didn't go, like, if you stayed home?"

Always the smartazz, she'd say, "Geezum, if I actually didn't go, why would I even be tellin' you about it?!" :laugh:

From my brief research its a 'ghetto' term (whatever that might mean) and is 'understatement'. It seems to have filtered down into more widespread use. It is in urban dictionary dated 18 years ago!

Urban Dictionary: minute

Rom Com, as in Romantic Comedy.

I am reminded of this as I’m watching a TV show that tells about new movie releases. What movies? I have no idea. I tuned out as soon as I heard them taking about the new Rom Com.

Back
Top Bottom