Pet Peeves

Well I can attest to that. When I started working in Caracas many years ago, my office neighbours were Texan oilmen. Once we´d had a few conversations interspersed with " Beg pardon? What was that?" and "Sorry I didn´t quite catch that" it was pretty obvious I was going to have to find a new word for " Caaah" "Motorway" " bonnet" and "boot".
!0 years later I went back to my home town and the barman in my local pub asked me if I was from Australia...:eek::eek::eek:

The problem with having a Texas Southern draw is that listeners from other places automatically deduct 10 IQ points. You can have a PhD in Astro Physics, but if you are a Texan, you are assumed to be a truck driver photographer. :laugh:

CD

Last edited:
The problem with having a Texas Southern draw is that listeners from other places automatically deduct 10 IQ points. You can have a PhD in Astro Physics, but if you are a Texan, you are assumed to be a truck driver. :laugh:
I hear you, CD. I worked for Phillip Morris at one stage in my life and they invited a professor from the Univ. of Tennessee to give us a talk on organizational development. The guy was summa cum laude, MA, Ph.D, post-doctoral thesis - brilliant. But from Tennessee...
I had the GM, the Vice-President, the board of directors all sitting around me saying:
"Whadda F+++ did he say? Whassat? Did you catch that???":laugh::laugh:

Brunch. My pet peeve is brunch. Not the food, which I think is great. But, the implication that it is somehow a hybrid of breakfast and lunch annoys me. Are there hamburgers at brunch? No. Is there pizza at brunch? No. All the foods at brunch are breakfast foods.

Oh, so it’s called brunch because it takes place between breakfast and lunchtime? Right. Having breakfast at 10 o’clock instead of 8 o’clock is such a shattering concept that we need a new name to describe it. Thank you, ancestors.

Brunch. My pet peeve is brunch. Not the food, which I think is great. But, the implication that it is somehow a hybrid of breakfast and lunch annoys me. Are there hamburgers at brunch? No. Is there pizza at brunch? No. All the foods at brunch are breakfast foods.

Oh, so it’s called brunch because it takes place between breakfast and lunchtime? Right. Having breakfast at 10 o’clock instead of 8 o’clock is such a shattering concept that we need a new name to describe it. Thank you, ancestors.
Depends on the Brunch buffet my friend! Some of the best I've been to had both breakfast AND lunch items... and a bottomless mimosa or bloodymary to wash it down with :D

Depends on the Brunch buffet my friend! Some of the best I've been to had both breakfast AND lunch items... and a bottomless mimosa or bloodymary to wash it down with :D

Yes, my favorite Sunday Brunch at Blue Mesa Grill has both breakfast and lunch items. I don't think Texas law allows bottomless alcoholic beverages. My reason for rarely doing Sunday Brunches is that they are usually very expensive.

CD

I used to do a lot of "Gourmet" bazaar events, which usually started at 12 midday. Brunch at the local Marriott before the event(s) was just the ticket, because we´d go through to 6 or 7pm without a break.

May I add " I was blown away, awesome and 24/7
I don't know where Burt Blank has been lately, but that was "awesome" and I was completely blown away. I have been known to say I do something 24/7 but other than sleeping lately, I can't claim that anymore.

I used to do a lot of "Gourmet" bazaar events, which usually started at 12 midday. Brunch at the local Marriott before the event(s) was just the ticket, because we´d go through to 6 or 7pm without a break.
I used to do some gourmet bizarre events, LOL!

I used to relocate trucks part time on contract. Nothing since covid, doesn't bother me.
And fyi I'm a narcissist as well.

Russ
No you're not, your a sociopath! JK big time. You are neither one of those things.

Back
Top Bottom