Pet Peeves

They could be on a timer and they don't even think about it. We always put ours on timers, but we lived in homeowner associations when we still put up lights and were limited time wise about holiday decorations being up. You'd get a letter if too early or too late, and then potentially a fine if you didn't remedy the situation.
People in Florida shouldn't be having Christmas lights on well into January, just saying. Up here in the NE US we have an excuse (well we don't have ours up because we don't decorate for Christmas, but some of our neighbors still have theirs up, LOL). When there is a foot of snow on the ground and some snow on the roof and in the gutters, it's a bit hazardous to put a ladder up to take the lights down. At least their yard stuff is put away.

Morning Glory inspired this discussion when she mentioned that she doesn't like eating on tray tables in front of the tv.

I absolutely cannot stand it when people...​
Review recipes based on a gazillion changes they made. I don't mind a small tweak here and there but when you are omitting and adding ingredients and spices it's NOT the same recipe and shouldn't be rated and reviewed as such.​
Eat with their mouth open and/or smack their food. I know it's common in some cultures as a sign that the meal is tasty, but that's not true here in the US.​
Scrap their utensils across their teeth. My ex does this. He puts food on his fork, puts it in his mouth and slides the fork out which makes a scraping noise. Argh!!​

What are your pet peeves in the kitchen?

View attachment 49702
Back on topic:

When I walk into the kitchen and slip in puddle because hubby dropped ice cubes on the floor and didn't bother to pick them up. This happens several times a week.

People who come over for dinner and salt and pepper their food without tasting it first.

Those are just a few.

Back on topic:

When I walk into the kitchen and slip in puddle because hubby dropped ice cubes on the floor and didn't bother to pick them up. This happens several times a week.

People who come over for dinner and salt and pepper their food without tasting it first.

Those are just a few.

Plus-one on the ice cube. My ice through-the-door dispenser does a scatter shot, so I don't often use it -- you need a wide mouth glass.

To add to the frustration, the pattern of my fake stone kitchen floor is such that the ice cubes virtually disappear. But, I can always find them later when I'm walking around in socks. :banghead:

CD

Plus-one on the ice cube. My ice through-the-door dispenser does a scatter shot, so I don't often use it -- you need a wide mouth glass.

To add to the frustration, the pattern of my fake stone kitchen floor is such that the ice cubes virtually disappear. But, I can always find them later when I'm walking around in socks. :banghead:

CD
I put a small throw rug in front of the refrigerator, but he manages to scatter some of them further.

We have the same refrigerator, remember?

This:

When did the term “yum yum sauce” get created? I’m not 3 years old. You don’t have to create a childish nickname just something to get we to try it.

When did the term “yum yum sauce” get created? I’m not 3 years old. You don’t have to create a childish nickname just something to get we to try it.

The whole history is here: Yum Yum Sauce: The Making Of An American Condiment

Extract:
Considered by many in America to be a Japanese classic (one Reddit user called it "infamous"; a blogger speculated that there are really only "two types of folk that dine at a hibachi restaurant, those that get double white sauce and those that don't know you can get double white sauce"), the sauce's sweet, slightly tangy flavor varies between restaurants and regions as much as the name does. A little more sweetness in one place. A little more tang in another. Some versions are reminiscent of fry sauce, popular in the South. Such variety calls into question whether the sauce we taste in our local teppanyaki restaurants is even Japanese at all.

Maybe not surprisingly, the answer, it appears, is no.

People who can't seem to manage resealing zipper top bags or putting the lid back on a sealed container properly. My kids did it and hubby does too. It's annoying to go for a slice of cheese only to discover that the slices are dried out and hard because someone didn't reseal the bag. Or like last night, when I opened the refrigerator to discover an olive brine puddle on the top shelf that was dripping down to the shelves below because hubby at some point had snacked on some olives that were in a Pyrex container and didn't put the lid back on tightly (it was up slightly on one side), and then when getting something else out of the refrigerator later, he knocked it over without paying attention and some of the brine drained out. Thankfully I caught it before the container was completely emptied. So then I had to take everything out of the refrigerator and wipe off the shelves, rinse the cloth, repeat, and then wipe all the items that had been on the shelves as well. It only took me 10 minutes but it was annoying nonetheless.

Kitchen pet peeve - clutter, not enough storage, lack of function. My kitchen is a reasonable size, a good many cabinets and one generous expanse of countertop space. The problem is function. The prep area is not near the cook area. The house was built in the 70's. The refrigerator space will only accommodate a 33" fridge. I would love a 36". Layout and function are the problems I have. I have been looking at cabinet insert to help with organization.
Language - Irregardless NOT a word
The Covid - as in my brother has the covid. Covid/ Covid 19 is a proper name. Would you call your sister Mary the Mary?

People who can't seem to manage resealing zipper top bags or putting the lid back on a sealed container properly. My kids did it and hubby does too. It's annoying to go for a slice of cheese only to discover that the slices are dried out and hard because someone didn't reseal the bag. Or like last night, when I opened the refrigerator to discover an olive brine puddle on the top shelf that was dripping down to the shelves below because hubby at some point had snacked on some olives that were in a Pyrex container and didn't put the lid back on tightly (it was up slightly on one side), and then when getting something else out of the refrigerator later, he knocked it over without paying attention and some of the brine drained out. Thankfully I caught it before the container was completely emptied. So then I had to take everything out of the refrigerator and wipe off the shelves, rinse the cloth, repeat, and then wipe all the items that had been on the shelves as well. It only took me 10 minutes but it was annoying nonetheless.
Yeah that grinds my gears too.

And my husband + stepkids still put leftover food on a plate in the fridge, while we have a whole shelf of tupperwares! I really hate that and after 5 years they still do it :rolleyes:

The Covid - as in my brother has the covid. Covid/ Covid 19 is a proper name. Would you call your sister Mary the Mary?

Yes - but much to my annoyance is seems to be perfectly acceptable in certain circles for a husband to refer to his wife as 'the wife', thereby objectifying her. The reverse rarely happens and wouldn't be seen as 'a norm'. It also annoys me when women refer to their husband as 'hubby' - if that is OK, should it be OK for men to refer to there wives as 'wifey'? I don't care what spouses call each other in private - I'm talking here about in public (including social media).

Back
Top Bottom