Pet Peeves

Rom Com, as in Romantic Comedy.

I am reminded of this as I’m watching a TV show that tells about new movie releases. What movies? I have no idea. I tuned out as soon as I heard them taking about the new Rom Com.
Yeah, but how do you feel about..."dramedy?" :laugh:

I was recently reminded of a MAJOR pet peeve of mine:
Why the hell don't supermarkets (or other retailers) de-scale Salmon before selling it to you?
Store associate: Oh yes sir here are your organic-wild-caught, sustainably-sourced, salmon fillets...
Me when I get home: So why did I pay for fish I have to scale myself?

Yes, I am a fisherman, I know how to scale and prepare fish, but its actually easier to remove the scales from a whole fish or large fillet rather than a little tiny 6-8ounce piece. Do they expect me to cook it with the scales on there? fry it so crip I might eat the scales like chips?Do they do this to be lazy or to preserve the fish better?
<end of rant>

I know this is the grammar police, but the misuse of mute for moot totally drives me up a wall. I've even seen/heard very well educated people do it. They have very different meanings.

I know this is the grammar police, but the misuse of mute for moot totally drives me up a wall. I've even seen/heard very well educated people do it. They have very different meanings.
Don't get me started.

Per say.
Block when the correct spelling (in that particular context) is bloc.
They're and it's various misspellings.
People saying "fink" when they mean think.
"Free " when they mean three.
America would cause me to blow a fuse whenever somebody 'aks' me a question.

Don't get me started.

Per say.
Block when the correct spelling (in that particular context) is bloc.
They're and it's various misspellings.
People saying "fink" when they mean think.
"Free " when they mean three.
America would cause me to blow a fuse whenever somebody 'aks' me a question.

The term "aks" for ask is not a universal thing. It is a cultural thing for one group of people. It bugs me, too, but it goes back centuries, so I tolerate it.

Here is an eye opening video I watched last night. This guy is a Brit living in the USA, and his YouTube channel is all about his experiences, and things that "got lost in the pond."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSkTP94cbLU

CD

There are all sorts of language differences which make me cringe, starting with "I´m good" ( Good at what??) to " If I would have done that,.." ( If I HAD done that..) and " I don´t know nothing" ( double negative).
But since I´m a language teacher, not the Dictator of the Universe, I take no notice,in the honest belief that I can do absolutely nothing about it. That´s the great thing about the English language - no silly Academy:D:D
Mind you, if I ever hear anyone saying "toomeric" instead of "turmeric", I shall carve out their tongue with the pointed end of a Carolina Reaper.

There are all sorts of language differences which make me cringe, starting with "I´m good" ( Good at what??) to " If I would have done that,.." ( If I HAD done that..) and " I don´t know nothing" ( double negative).
But since I´m a language teacher, not the Dictator of the Universe, I take no notice,in the honest belief that I can do absolutely nothing about it. That´s the great thing about the English language - no silly Academy:D:D
Mind you, if I ever hear anyone saying "toomeric" instead of "turmeric", I shall carve out their tongue with the pointed end of a Carolina Reaper.

I try to keep my speaking appropriate to the situation. If I am sitting around the campfire with my camping friends, my wording becomes more relaxed. There are things I would never say at a formal business meeting, but some of the things I say at a business meeting are things I wouldn't say around the campfire.

At a campfire...

Q: You want another hot dog?

A: I'm good.

In a business meeting...

Q: Would you like another cup of coffee?

A: No, thank you, I'm fine.

CD

I cringe when I hear people that pronounce aksed instead of asked. Our PM pronounces a sloppy talk, says poverdy, doesn't pronounce it ty.
Immunidy and others.

Am I the only one who was taught English???

Russ

This discussion is sliding from grammar into regional dialects. Very interesting...or as I would say if you could hear me, "Very innaresdin'."

This discussion is sliding from grammar into regional dialects. Very interesting...or as I would say if you could hear me, "Very innaresdin'."
Yes, although Guernsey is a British island our roots are Norman/Breton. So a true Guern will sometimes get his syntax mixed up (if you regard it in a truly 'British/English way).

For instance a Guern might say, "Where you to?" instead of, "Where are you?"

Oddly, and perhaps that makes me a hypocrite, that doesn't make me cringe.

And when, as caseydog mentions above, I'm in the right social setting I will sometimes use the Guernsey way of speaking in a jokey kind of way.

I think it comes from a literal translation of Guernesiaise to English.

I try to keep my speaking appropriate to the situation. If I am sitting around the campfire with my camping friends, my wording becomes more relaxed. There are things I would never say at a formal business meeting, but some of the things I say at a business meeting are things I wouldn't say around the campfire.

At a campfire...

Q: You want another hot dog?

A: I'm good.

In a business meeting...

Q: Would you like another cup of coffee?

A: No, thank you, I'm fine.

CD
A social chameleon!

I, for one, am glad we don't all sound/speak the same. Makes the world much more interesting, though yes, being only human, there are grammatical things that do get on my nerves, but I just roll with it.

Well I can attest to that. When I started working in Caracas many years ago, my office neighbours were Texan oilmen. Once we´d had a few conversations interspersed with " Beg pardon? What was that?" and "Sorry I didn´t quite catch that" it was pretty obvious I was going to have to find a new word for " Caaah" "Motorway" " bonnet" and "boot".
!0 years later I went back to my home town and the barman in my local pub asked me if I was from Australia...:eek::eek::eek:

Back
Top Bottom