Recipe Pizza dough made using a bread machine.

Made another one yesterday, fermented in the fridge for 24 hours and topped with marinara sauce, pesto, mozzarella, fresh buffalo mozzarella, and olive oil.
Great looking pizza! Like you I prefer a long fermentation dough...I think it gives a much better flavour. I've recently started doing a biga which I rest for 24 hours at room temperature, before adding the rest of the water and salt and then fermenting in the fridge for 48-72 hours.

(never stretch the dough, PRESS it into the pan)
Proper pizzas don't use pans.
And whilst you do start by pressing it out in the middle, they definitely do need stretching once you have your basic shape.

Proper pizzas don't use pans.
Well, it depends on the style. Detroit pizza must be baked in a pan. NY Sicilian...NY Grandma pizza...those are baked in a pan...and let's not forget pan pizza...it's right there in the name. :)

And these are definitely proper pizzas!

I forgot to include Chicago deep dish:

Well, it depends on the style. Detroit pizza must be baked in a pan. NY Sicilian...NY Grandma pizza...those are baked in a pan...and let's not forget pan pizza...it's right there in the name. :)

And these are definitely proper pizzas!
I forgot to include Chicago deep dish:
I should have been more precise....I meant proper Italian pizzas don't use pans :okay:

But I was more reacting to the instruction to "never stretch the dough"... which I thought was terrible advice - especially given the OP's photos show he is making Neapolitan style pizzas.

I've fiddle with
bread aka hard flour (KA)
bread aka hard flour (KA) + 00
bread aka hard flour (KA) + semonlina
bread aka hard flour (KA) + 00 + semolina

various proportions....
settled on (per crust) 165g bread flour + 115g semolina + 148g water
(yeast & salt per usual...)

I prefer to use no oil - I think it makes a crispier crust

I prefer to use no oil - I think it makes a crispier crust
I agree - there's usually no need for oil in the dough.

My current recipe uses just 4 ingredients: 00 flour, yeast, 57% water and 3% salt. It makes 2 x 225g dough balls, which each make a 10-12" pizza - depending on your stretching skills!

Step 1: Biga:
  • 563g 00 Flour
  • 253g water
  • 2g yeast
  • Mix well, cover and leave at room temperature for around 24 hours
Step 2: Dough
  • The Biga
  • 68g Water
  • 17g Salt
  • Dissolve the salt in the water and gradually mix into the Biga - a mixer is useful for this otherwise it'll be hard work.
Step 3: Fermentation
  • Put in a bowl, cover and leave in the fridge for a couple of days
Step 4: On the day of cooking
  • Remove from the fridge about 6 hours before you want to cook
  • Divide and shape into tight balls
  • Cover and leave to rest at room temperature until you're ready to cook

Back
Top Bottom