Plans for today (2023)

Today…I’ve got to check the propane tank to make sure it’s good for cooking out on Monday.

Also, three neighbors are having a group yard sale/jumble sale and have allowed MrsT to throw some things in there, so she’s sitting over there all day.

Today…I’ve got to check the propane tank to make sure it’s good for cooking out on Monday.

Also, three neighbors are having a group yard sale/jumble sale and have allowed MrsT to throw some things in there, so she’s sitting over there all day.

Is she one of those people who will end up selling nothing because they think their garage sale stuff is "worth more than that." My ex-wife started that way, but she did learn from me how to make a lot of money getting rid of stuff at a garage sale, by setting a high-ish price and taking half of that price. Buyers think they beat you, when really, you got the price you actually wanted. :laugh:

CD

Is she one of those people who will end up selling nothing because they think their garage sale stuff is "worth more than that."
She’s more like, “I know this stuff is worth more, and it’s galling me to do it, but it’s got to go.”

Our conversation for virtually every item yesterday:

“How much should I put on the bike?”
“$15, and sell it for $10.”
“It’s worth more than that!”
“It’s 15 years old. The tires are probably dry-rotted. I’d sell it for $5 just to get rid of it.”
“Ok…how much for the stair-stepper?”
“$30, and sell it for $20.”
“But it’s brand new! The books are still with it! It’s worth at least a hundred!”
“It’s a yard sale. Nobody’s paying a hundred for anything.”
<tappity-tappity-tap>
“They cost $180 brand new! And this one is brand new!”
“If it was brand new, it’d be in a box…at the store. The point is to get rid of stuff.”
“Jesus, ok, but we’re getting screwed…how much for the rocking chair…”

My SIL, she’s like your ex, only worse. She had such a high opinion of her stuff that she wanted to price it higher than new. It was all wrapped up in her ego, mainly. She didn’t sell diddly-💩 at her yard sale, and couldn’t understand why.

She’s more like, “I know this stuff is worth more, and it’s galling me to do it, but it’s got to go.”

Our conversation for virtually every item yesterday:

“How much should I put on the bike?”
“$15, and sell it for $10.”
“It’s worth more than that!”
“It’s 15 years old. The tires are probably dry-rotted. I’d sell it for $5 just to get rid of it.”
“Ok…how much for the stair-stepper?”
“$30, and sell it for $20.”
“But it’s brand new! The books are still with it! It’s worth at least a hundred!”
“It’s a yard sale. Nobody’s paying a hundred for anything.”
<tappity-tappity-tap>
“They cost $180 brand new! And this one is brand new!”
“If it was brand new, it’d be in a box…at the store. The point is to get rid of stuff.”
“Jesus, ok, but we’re getting screwed…how much for the rocking chair…”

My SIL, she’s like your ex, only worse. She had such a high opinion of her stuff that she wanted to price it higher than new. It was all wrapped up in her ego, mainly. She didn’t sell diddly-💩 at her yard sale, and couldn’t understand why.

My ex and I did a garage sale with a couple two doors down. They brought their stuff down to our house, priced too high. By lunchtime, our stuff was almost all gone. At the end of the day, they moved all there stuff back to their house. BUT, they could say that they didn't get ripped off, like we did. :rolleyes:

When it comes to garage/yard sales, some people get it, and some don't. For experienced garage sale shoppers, this is sport. The goal is to go home with as much stuff as you can fit in your car/truck for as little money as possible.

For some garage sale shoppers, it is a business. They buy a bunch of stuff dirt cheap, and take it to their flea market booth on First Monday Trade Days. They know exactly how much they can sell something for at their flea market booth. They are pros. If they can't get your stuff for their target price, they will just smile, say thank you, and move on to the next garage sale.

CD

At the end of the day, they moved all there stuff back to their house.
Speaking of that, that’s one thing I cleared up front with my neighbor: the path to your yard sale is a one-way street. If I bring it over, it ain’t coming back, and it’s your problem to deal with come Monday.

Surprisingly, they agreed. I know I wouldn’t have.

Finish packing. Find my passport and print out the boarding pass. Tidy up the big pile of stuff in the middle of the kitchen floor that accumulated as a result of tidying up elsewhere 😆 Rehang some pictures. De-mat the dogs. Wait for the shopping delivery and hopefully the black garlic I ordered. Bake bread. Ride my BSA.
Oh and most importantly waste time on the internet.

Day 2 for the yard sale for MrsT. This should be the busiest day - they’ve already had three people stop by.

I’ll be making breakfast shortly, then off to do some grocery shopping. Planning on making my first two caper entries tomorrow.

I'm guessing plenty of garages full of 💩, as well.
Spot on. When we cleared out the garage in my parent's bungalow (dad sold his car 10 years ago because of the dementia), we found:
  • 5 walking frames
  • 8 assorted walking sticks
  • a whole pile of baking tins, pots and pans and casseroles
  • an entire cupboard filled with empty jamjars, beer bottles (from 2014) and selected homemade conserves

Today's plan -
Going to a Cervecería (a cross between a bar and a pub) that makes its own beer, invited to attend a chocolate & beer tasting/pairing (stranger things have happened) and will then talk about an Indian Street Food evening.

Back
Top Bottom