Recipe Pomegranate Yoghurt Rice

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
12:28 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
We're quite used to rice and pomegranate seeds because we always include pomegranate seeds in our rice salads. However, we've never included yoghurt in our rice salads nor have we ever included curry leaves. So this recipe is quite new to us in that concept.

This is one of many recipes that I have now cooked from Mango Soup. A cookery book we bought directly from the author Jenni Malsingh so we have a dedicated, signed copy.

We've amended the recipe somewhat to account for our tastes. We have often found that we prefer recipes to have anything upto twice the amount of herbs and spices in them than the author (in lots of cookery books) actually puts and after trying this one out, this recipe was no different.

Ingredients
200g uncooked brown rice
250g plain soya yoghurt
Seeds from 1 large pomegranate
2tsp minced fresh ginger
2-3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
I tbsp olive oil
1½ tsp black mustard seeds
1½ tsp cumin seeds
A generous handful of fresh curry leaves
5 dried red chillies
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper.
Salt to taste

Method
1. Soak your rice in boiling water for roughly ½ hour before draining and rinsing your rice. Now cook your rice to your instructions minus 5-10 minutes. So if the normal cooking time is 35-45 minutes, test the rice at 25 minutes to see if it is cooked. If there is any water left, drain the rice immediately and then return the rice to the hot pan to dry out a touch. You don't want soggy rice for this recipe. Allow the rice to cool completely.
2. Mix the ginger, fresh coriander, black pepper and rice with the soya yoghurt. Carefully stir in the pomegranate seeds.
3. In a small pan, heat the oil and when hot, add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and red chillies. Briefly mix by shaking the pan and then wait until the mustard seeds start to pop. Immediately add in the curry leaves, stir once and count to 10. Remove from the heat and pour over the rice pomegranate yoghurt mixture.
4. Allow to stand for at least I hour or ideally overnight in the fridge for the flavours to develop.
5. Serve with chapatti, naan or similar (Staffordshire Oatcakes) at room temperature or chilled.

Second time I'm struggling to understand a recipe from this book! It looks very pretty, though. I just can't understand why I'd want to put these elements together... which is rather strange as I'm an adventurous cook. :scratchhead:

Second time I'm struggling to understand a recipe from this book! It looks very pretty, though. I just can't understand why I'd want to put these elements together... which is rather strange as I'm an adventurous cook. :scratchhead:
The thing is, it works. It's a lovely, light meal. It's not too (spicy) hot. It's not too heavy. It's refreshing. It works well in both hot and warmer weather and hubby wanted seconds, plus he said he would eat it again.

Tomorrow I'm going to serve it with Khandvi if I can make them that is!

Maybe its simply not to my taste - a bit of research suggests its a Southern Indian dish - usually known as Curd rice, daddojanam or thayir sadam. If you image search 'curd rice' you get lots of photos a bit similar to yours.

Thank you. I had no idea. I made mine with brown rice because I don't keep white rice anymore. Arborio being the exception.

The way I was looking at it was that out was a rice salad minus my usual vinaigrette dressing. When I make a potato salad I use a yoghurt dressing... both rice and potatoes being carbohydrates, why not a yoghurt dressing on rice? Adding the tempered spices afterwards is the new bit (adding them to the rice dish that is, I've used tempered spices a lot).

Back
Top Bottom