Recipe Purple Rice Salad with Tuna, Egg and Asparagus

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:48 PM
Purple rice and blue eggs without using artificial food colouring is a simple trick. Boil some red cabbage, don’t add anything to the water. Drain off the water and reserve. The water will be dark blue. Use the water to cook rice and the rice will turn purple. Place the water in a beaker and add a shelled hard boiled egg and the egg will turn blue. Well, its all a bit of fun and it makes me smile… kids might find this amusing too.

This salad takes a passing nod to a Niçoise and you could vary the ingredients accordingly. I’m not giving precise quantities - use as much or little of each ingredient as suits you.

Ingredients
Red cabbage cooking water (do not add anything to the water - acid will turn the water red)
Basmati or long grain rice (allowed to cool)
Purple asparagus (or use any asparagus)
Tinned tuna (drained)
Hard boiled egg
Pitted Kalamati olives
Kefir yoghurt (or use plain yoghurt)
Dijon mustard
Salt to taste
A little golden coloured oil - I used yellow achiote oil (optional)
A few chive flowers (optional)

Method
  1. Cook the rice in the red cabbage water using your usual method and allow to cool.
  2. Cook the asparagus until tender. I cooked it for 3 minutes in the microwave with a little water. Drain and allow to cool. Cut each spear into one or two pieces.
  3. Immerse the hard boiled egg(s) in red cabbage water. The longer you leave them the bluer they get (up to a point), but even a few minutes will colour them. Cut the egg into wedges.
  4. Make the dressing by mixing one part mustard to 4 parts yoghurt. Mix in a few drops of cabbage water and the dressing will turn pink. Add salt to taste.
  5. Assemble the salad by placing a bed of rice on the plate and topping with the tuna, egg wedges, olives and asparagus.
  6. Drizzle the dressing over the top.
  7. If using, place a few drops of oil around the edge of the plate/dish and drop a tiny amount of cabbage water into each oil ‘puddle’.
  8. Scatter a few chive flowers over (if using).

Purple rice and blue eggs without using artificial food colouring is a simple trick. Boil some red cabbage, don’t add anything to the water. Drain off the water and reserve. The water will be dark blue. Use the water to cook rice and the rice will turn purple. Place the water in a beaker and add a shelled hard boiled egg and the egg will turn blue. Well, its all a bit of fun and it makes me smile… kids might find this amusing too.

This salad takes a passing nod to a Niçoise and you could vary the ingredients accordingly. I’m not giving precise quantities - use as much or little of each ingredient as suits you.

View attachment 41515

Ingredients
Red cabbage cooking water (do not add anything to the water - acid will turn the water red)
Basmati or long grain rice (allowed to cool)
Purple asparagus (or use any asparagus)
Tinned tuna (drained)
Hard boiled egg
Pitted Kalamati olives
Kefir yoghurt (or use plain yoghurt)
Dijon mustard
Salt to taste
A little golden coloured oil - I used yellow achiote oil (optional)
A few chive flowers (optional)

Method
  1. Cook the rice in the red cabbage water using your usual method and allow to cool.
  2. Cook the asparagus until tender. I cooked it for 3 minutes in the microwave with a little water. Drain and allow to cool. Cut each spear into one or two pieces.
  3. Immerse the hard boiled egg(s) in red cabbage water. The longer you leave them the bluer they get (up to a point), but even a few minutes will colour them. Cut the egg into wedges.
  4. Make the dressing by mixing one part mustard to 4 parts yoghurt. Mix in a few drops of cabbage water and the dressing will turn pink. Add salt to taste.
  5. Assemble the salad by placing a bed of rice on the plate and topping with the tuna, egg wedges, olives and asparagus.
  6. Drizzle the dressing over the top.
  7. If using, place a few drops of oil around the edge of the plate/dish and drop a tiny amount of cabbage water into each oil ‘puddle’.
  8. Scatter a few chive flowers over (if using).

View attachment 41516

View attachment 41518
MG Bella is beautiful!!! Is like art no food, I definite to make this fantastic!!!

Sarana x

Back
Top Bottom