Recipe Red Onion Tart with Parsley and Parmesan

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:08 AM
Caramelised onions have a wonderful sweet flavour which works well with the slightly fruity and nutty taste of a good Parmesan. The parsley adds a mild bitter and mineral note which brightens the flavour. This makes a great simple vegetarian lunch together with a green salad. To make it vegan, use vegan ‘parmesan’, substitute oil for the butter, almond milk for the dairy milk and use a 'vegan egg replacer'.

fullsizeoutput_479c.jpeg

Ingredients:
Shortcrust pastry (I make my own but you could use ready-rolled or even a pre-cooked quiche/flan shell).
3 large red onions, peeled and sliced (or a mixture of red & brown onions)
50g butter
3 eggs
150 ml milk and/or cream (any type of cream is OK)
40g Parmesan cheese, grated
A large handful of parsley, finely chopped
Method:
  1. Heat the oven to 180C
  2. Line a greased 23cm flan tin with the pastry and bake blind (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/videos/techniques/how-blind-bake-pastry).
  3. Beat the eggs together with the milk and/or cream and the grated Parmesan.
  4. Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the sliced onions and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until they are caramelised (this will take about 20-30 minutes).
  5. Cover the base of the quiche with the onions and the parsley an then pour over the egg mixture. You may not need all the mixture.
  6. Lower the oven heat to 170 c and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
  7. Serve warm or at room temperature
fullsizeoutput_47a3.jpeg

Last edited:
Caramelised onions have a wonderful sweet flavour which works well with the slightly fruity and nutty taste of a good Parmesan. The parsley adds a mild bitter and mineral note which brightens the flavour. This makes a great simple vegetarian lunch together with a green salad. To make it vegan, use vegan ‘parmesan’, substitute oil for the butter and almond milk for the dairy milk.

View attachment 27838

Ingredients:
Shortcrust pastry (I make my own but you could use ready-rolled or even a pre-cooked quiche/flan shell).
3 large red onions, peeled and sliced (or a mixture of red & brown onions)
50g butter
3 eggs
150 ml milk and/or cream (any type of cream is OK)
40g Parmesan cheese, grated
A large handful of parsley, finely chopped
Method:
  1. Heat the oven to 180C
  2. Line a greased 23cm flan tin with the pastry and bake blind (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/videos/techniques/how-blind-bake-pastry).
  3. Beat the eggs together with the milk and/or cream and the grated Parmesan.
  4. Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the sliced onions and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until they are caramelised (this will take about 20-30 minutes).
  5. Cover the base of the quiche with the onions and the parsley an then pour over the egg mixture. You may not need all the mixture.
  6. Lower the oven heat to 170 c and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
  7. Serve warm or at room temperature
View attachment 27837

Looks DELISH!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom