Regional Word Usage

What we call insects that glow at night
  • Fireflies
  • Lightning Bugs
We don't have them in the UK but I know them as Fireflies

we do have them, though sadly they are not very common anymore, but we used to see them frequently when we lived in Surrey. they are glow worms.
they are a beetle and only the female (who is flightless) glows. They are a great find if you happen to see one.
https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife-explorer/invertebrates/beetles/glow-worm

What we haul freight in
  • Semi/Semitruck
  • Tractor Trailor
  • Eighteen-Wheeler
I don't even understand what you mean by hauling freight! Do you mean when you attach something to the back of a car?
lorries, or HGVs.
trucks are the smaller version, 7.5 tonner is a truck. pretty much anything else is a HGV of some class or another, but just generally called a lorry

We are a short distance from a canal, it is also known as 'the cut', not sure why though :scratchhead:
Probably because they "cut" it into the ground.

Similarly, the city here sits in a river bottom, so to get out, you have to go up, and the two main routes out are locally referred to as "the cut in the hill" (I-71/75 South) and "the Kenwood cut" (I-71 North).

Where you come from, would you call this:
74868716-1EF0-477C-AC76-293B9DE09033.jpeg

1. A cantaloupe
2. A mushmelon
3. A muskmelon

Here (SW Ohio), the major stores (which have to be mindful of national advertising and labeling) call this a cantaloupe, but farmers' markets, Mom-and-Pop shops, and veg stands use mushmelon and muskmelon interchangeably. Where I got these today had signs out advertising muskmelons, but the girl at the counter called it a mushmelon when she rang it up.

My wife, from NY state, knew it only as a cantaloupe until she met me. :)

Back
Top Bottom