Regional Word Usage

Interesting thing regarding "pop."

I was watching the classic 1970's British series "Upstairs Downstairs," and in one episode, the posh families were treating their serving staff to a day out and a picnic.

At one point, someone brings in a giant hamper, and the maids start going through it, saying, "Oh look! Sandwiches...and red apples...and pop!"

The only thing is, just as they said "pop" and reached into the hamper to pull it out, someone turned and blocked the shot, so I couldn't tell if they pulled out a bottled drink or if it was something else entirely.

Interesting thing regarding "pop."

I was watching the classic 1970's British series "Upstairs Downstairs," and in one episode, the posh families were treating their serving staff to a day out and a picnic.

At one point, someone brings in a giant hamper, and the maids start going through it, saying, "Oh look! Sandwiches...and red apples...and pop!"

The only thing is, just as they said "pop" and reached into the hamper to pull it out, someone turned and blocked the shot, so I couldn't tell if they pulled out a bottled drink or if it was something else entirely.

Pop is fizzy drink.

Russ

There's a lot of that happening.
I noticed out before I left the UK and also here in Australia. You get things like

'He lent it to me' and 'He lent it from me'. I was always taught lend and borrow etc.

The other that few know unless of a certain age or background is the that something is 'different from' not 'different to', but then you're talking to a kid that when faced with a lack of knowledge off the correct words would just make things up, so I would 'lock things undone' instead of 'unlocking them', so I'm hardly one to talk

To summarize, the words or phrases they showed were (follow the link to see which regions, and to see some less-used outlier terms):

What we call athletic footwear
  • Sneakers
  • Tennis Shoes

Funny that. I call them trainers or pumps.

I remember going to a shoe shop to buy some trainers many years ago and was asked "what do you intend to do with them?"
"Put them on my feet" I answered sarcastically.
"No, what will you be doing when wearing them?"
"Going to the pub - usually".

When I worked in the construction industry (which I did for the majority of my working life) haulage trucks were referred to as artic (articulated trucks) or rigid. In addition, the number of wheels were referenced (not precisely but the number of axles x 2). Here they refer to them by the actual number of wheels therefore you have 22 wheeled trucks.

A water way smaller than a river

• Creek
  • Stream
  • Coulee
  • Bayou
I thought a Bayou was a southern salty marsh, not an inland flowing body of water. For me, streams tend to be a bit bigger than creeks.

A bayou down here is not the same as a creek, but not a river, either. A bayou tends to run slow, because it is near the coast. A bayou can sometime have brackish water in it -- mix of freshwater and seawater. That would change with the tides in certain areas of the bayou. The bayous we had growing up on the Texas Gulf coast often had alligators in them, because of the gentle currents.

Also, a soft drink down heare is generically called a "Coke." Unless it's a Dr. Pepper in North Texas. A Dr. Pepper is a sacred beverage in these parts.

CD

Nahhh, you know what proper oatcakes are!

True

And I suspect you don't even realise how the words towel, bowl, trowel, and so on are said in the area you're in.

No. Ill have to listen out, though I know 'look' is pronounced 'Luke's.

Plus any h will 'ave long since gone, duck/love!

I was brought up in the part of london where the 'h' is dropped and 'love's is used. I'm keeping my 'h' and sticking to 'mate' from living in the east end for for 20ish years.

And lunch is still lunch.

Back
Top Bottom