Regional Word Usage

And lunch is still lunch.
Breakfast, dinner, tea.
And ironically I still refer my main meal you be in the middle of the day, not the evening. Plus it is in the middle of the day (12pm) and not 1pm.

As for rivers, I know them variously as brooks & streams (Potteries area), becks & streams in the Lakes, and burns and streams in the Highlands of Scotland.

Smaller creeks/streams are frequently referred as licks where I'm from.

Breakfast, dinner, tea.
And ironically I still refer my main meal you be in the middle of the day, not the evening. Plus it is in the middle of the day (12pm) and not 1pm.

As for rivers, I know them variously as brooks & streams (Potteries area), becks & streams in the Lakes, and burns and streams in the Highlands of Scotland.
I've had to learn 'entry' (covered walkway) and 'bonk' (steep hill) just to understand basic directions. I do use the work 'entry' if it is the actual name of the road/walkway.

Hmm. I suppose I've picked up a bit more tha I thought.

Small streams we know as 'douits' pronounced dwits.
Snails are collimachon
Somersaults are Baontchus
We say "is it" a lot.
Some Guernsey language has been anglicised but the sentence structure remains the same so we'll say "Where you too?"
"Eh" gets used a lot.

Local hero

I think it's a regional thing. "Pop" is common parlance in the Midlands/Birmingham area, but just 30 miles North of there, where I live, it is seldom used.

It is regional in the US, too. In the Midwest (like Ohio), they say "pop." On the East coast, you will here "pop" or "soda." I think it is "soda" out West, too -- not sure."

Down here in the South, everything is a "coke." So, you might ask someone if they want a coke, and if they say "yes" you'd ask "what kind?" Their reply might be, "I'll take a Dr. Pepper." It's pretty weird, but it somehow works. :scratchhead:

CD

SatNavSaysStraightOn will know this, we pronounce h as it is, ozzy said call it haich, I hate people saying I aksed for the bread, not asked. Grrr.
Trucks here as Yorky says by the wheels or class, 1,2,4 or 5.
Fiz/pop/ we call soft drink or fizz.

Russ

On the Gulf coast of Louisiana and Texas, we also have Bayous. A bayou (bah-you) is kind of like a river in a flat, low-lying area, usually very slow moving, with a somewhat marshy shoreline. They often go through wetlands. Most are fresh water, but some very close to the coast have "brackish" water -- part fresh water, part sea water which fluctuates with the tides. The fresh water bayous usually have alligators in them, but so do the lakes. Makes for "interesting" water skiing.

Some rivers along the Gulf coast are also brackish as they terminate in the Gulf of Mexico. The Neches river in Port Arthur was that way for the 10-20 miles inland from the Gulf. It starts in North Texas as a fresh water river.

CD

On the Gulf coast of Louisiana and Texas, we also have Bayous. A bayou (bah-you) is kind of like a river in a flat, low-lying area, usually very slow moving, with a somewhat marshy shoreline.

As in Born on the Bayou (Creedence Clearwater Revival) and Jambalaya (Down on the Bayou) most often heard by the Carpenters but I much prefer this version:
View: https://youtu.be/nG7-tsqDRYE

The lyrics have great foodie references! When I originally heard this song I had no idea what these foods were - now I do! What is the reference to Thibodaux Fontaineaux?

Jambalaya (lyrics)
Goodbye Joe me gotta go me oh my oh
Me gotta go pole the pirogue down the bayou
My Yvonne the sweetest one me oh my oh
Son of a gun we'll have big fun on the bayou
Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and fillet gumbo
Cause tonight I'm gonna see my ma cher amio
Pick guitar fill fruit jar and be gay-o
Thibodaux Fontaineaux the place is buzzin'
Kinfolk come to see Yvonne by the dozen
Dress in style and go hog wild me oh my oh
Settle down far from town get me a pirogue
And I'll catch all the fish in the bayou
Jambalaya and a crawfish pie
Later on, swap my mon, get me a pirogue
And I'll catch all the fish on the bayou
Swap my mon, to buy Yvonne what she need-oh
Jambalaya and a crawfish pie
Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Hank Williams / Sr.
Jambalaya lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Warner Chappell Music, Inc

As in Born on the Bayou (Creedence Clearwater Revival) and Jambalaya (Down on the Bayou) most often heard by the Carpenters but I much prefer this version:
View: https://youtu.be/nG7-tsqDRYE

The lyrics have great foodie references! When I originally heard this song I had no idea what these foods were - now I do! What is the reference to Thibodaux Fontaineaux?

Jambalaya (lyrics)
Goodbye Joe me gotta go me oh my oh
Me gotta go pole the pirogue down the bayou
My Yvonne the sweetest one me oh my oh
Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and fillet gumbo
Cause tonight I'm gonna see my ma cher amio
Pick guitar fill fruit jar and be gay-o
Thibodaux Fontaineaux the place is buzzin'
Kinfolk come to see Yvonne by the dozen
Dress in style and go hog wild me oh my oh