Regional Word Usage

I think it's a regional thing. "Pop" is common parlance in the Midlands/Birmingham area, but just 30 miles North of there, where I live, it is seldom used.

I am a Midlands lass and yes we always called it pop, although the word appears to be fazing out as it is rarely used any more.

I believe those are both place names.

Those are both VERY common surnames in Cajun country. I take it the writer was addressing friends in the song.

Thibodaux and Fontaineaux down there are like Smith and Jones in other places.

Thibodaux is also the name of a city in Louisiana. I'm not sure about Fontaineaux, it probably is also the name of a town.

CD

'Head over heels'

I don't know how common it is now but no Guernsey child in my time would say head over heels or somersaults. It would always be bonchu or baontchus, not entirely sure of the spelling.

We wear a bounne
Call each other "mon vien"
things are muzzy
a jumper "picks"
say boudiyax
I tell the grandkids, "down your goulou."
Something is "foutu" (a rude word)
We have budloe night
The older generation might say "cor damme la" or "cor chapin"
we wear bathers on the beach, get changed in a wrap, wear plimsoles.
cows produce bouzettes.

I never knew so many of the words I use are Guernsey words until I had an English girlfriend. One day I told her "bloney hell, boudiyax the milks gone muzzy it.
"errrrr, you what?" she said.

I don't know how common it is now but no Guernsey child in my time would say head over heels or somersaults. It would always be bonchu or baontchus, not entirely sure of the spelling.

We wear a bounne
Call each other "mon vien"
things are muzzy
a jumper "picks"
say boudiyax
I tell the grandkids, "down your goulou."
Something is "foutu" (a rude word)
We have budloe night
The older generation might say "cor damme la" or "cor chapin"
we wear bathers on the beach, get changed in a wrap, wear plimsoles.
cows produce bouzettes.

I never knew so many of the words I use are Guernsey words until I had an English girlfriend. One day I told her "bloney hell, boudiyax the milks gone muzzy it.
"errrrr, you what?" she said.

Lol, you're from another planet in my book,lol.

Russ

Lol, you're from another planet in my book,lol.

Russ
A bounee is a wooly hat, a beanie.

Mon vien is "my old (friend)"

Muzzy is "off, sour, moldy"

'picks' we think comes from the French, pique and means itchy, scratchy hence a jumper can 'pick'.

Boudiyax is an expression of disgust. Cor boudiyax, the milks gone muzzy.

Goulou, slang for throat/mouth.

Foutou or futu is very rude. It can mean very tired or very broken.

Budloe is the guy you burn on Guy Fawkes night. Apparently it comes from Bout d l'an a kind of Yule log that used to be burnt near the end of the year. They just combined the two celebrations.

Cor damme self explanatory, cor chapin, my hat!

Bathers, swimming trunks. A wrap is a large towel sewn into a cylinder shape with elastic round the top opening. It allows you to get changed on the beach while preserving your modesty.

Plimsoles = trainers, pumps, bumpers, sneakers

Bouzettes = cow pats. They used to be dried and burnt in the fire. Incidentally Guernsey milk is allegedly the best in the world.

'picks' we think comes from the French, pique and means itchy, scratchy hence a jumper can 'pick'.

Budloe is the guy you burn on Guy Fawkes night. Apparently it comes from Bout d l'an a kind of Yule log that used to be burnt near the end of the year. They just combined the two celebrations.

Bathers, swimming trunks. A wrap is a large towel sewn into a cylinder shape with elastic round the top opening. It allows you to get changed on the beach while preserving your modesty.

Bouzettes = cow pats. They used to be dried and burnt in the fire. Incidentally Guernsey milk is allegedly the best in the world.

I've been to the uk, I must giggle Guernsey , I've heard of it but not ever spoken to anyone, you're a breath of fresh air. I did German and French at school so I picked some words. Just need more time

:) :)

Russ

Some "Texan" to go with that...

All hat and no cattle. Translation: He often speaks highly of himself, but does not follow through with his actions.
Example: Don't pay no attention ole' bubba, he's all hat and no cattle.

That dog won't hunt. Translation: That isn't going to work. Example: But when we pay billions for planes that won't fly, billions for tanks that won't fire and billions for systems that won't work, that old dog won't hunt. (Former Texas Governor Ann Richards)

Fixin' to. Translation: “About to.” Example: I'm fixin' to open up a can of whoopa$$ on you.

Might could. Translation: I may be able to. Example: I'm busy this weekend, but I might could help fix your truck next weekend.

Usta could. Translation: I used to be a able to. Example: I usta could eat three of them steaks and not be full.

Ya'll. Translation: How you address two or more people. Example: Y'all need anything at the store.

Right quick: Translation: Right away or very quickly. Examples: I'll be there right quick, or I need to run to the store right quick.

I reckon. Translation: I believe that is true. Example: I recon that hole in the roof ain't gonna' fix itself.

Over yonder. Translation: Over in that direction a ways. Example. Last time I saw your dog, he was over yonder by the pond.

CD

Last edited:
In parts of Yorkshire, "while" is used instead of "until".

Could be dangerous at level railway crossings - "Wait While Lights Flash".

Some "Texan" to go with that...

All hat and no cattle. Translation: He often speaks highly of himself, but does not follow through with his actions.
Example: Don't pay no attention ole' bubba, he's all hat and no cattle.

That dog won't hunt. Translation: That isn't going to work. Example: But when we pay billions for planes that won't fly, billions for tanks that won't fire and billions for systems that won't work, that old dog won't hunt. (Former Texas Governor Ann Richards)

Fixin' to. Translation: “About to.” Example: I'm fixin' to open up a can of whoopa$$ on you.

Might could. Translation: I may be able to. Example: I'm busy this weekend, but I might could help fix you truck next weekend.

Usta could. Translation: I used to be a able to. Example: I usta could eat three of them steaks and not be full.

Ya'll. Translation: How you address two or more people. Example: Y'all need anything at the store.

Right quick: Translation: Right away or very quickly. Examples: I'll be there right quick, or I need to run to the store right quick.

I reckon. Translation: I believe that is true. Example: I recon that hole in the roof ain't gonna' fix itself.

Over yonder. Translation: Over in that direction a ways. Example. Last time I saw your dog, he was over yonder by the pond.

CD
I'm pretty up to the play with murican lingo.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom