Regional Word Usage

Another one might be "Zed" versus "Zee" for the last letter of the alphabet.

My wife is from way upstate NY, and there's a large French-Canadian influence, and as such, it's not uncommon to hear locals say "zed" instead of "zee."

The funniest thing, though, that I distinctly remember, was a promo for the local NBC-TV affiliate.

Now, for those not familiar, national celebrities will frequently record promo bits for the local TV station that carries their show. For example, I might see Jim Parsons pop up on my local CBS station, saying something like, "Whenever I'm in Cincinnati, I watch 'The Big Bang Theory' on WCPO-TV!"

Well, the local NBC affiliate in MrsTasty's hometown is WPTZ, and there used to be a hilarious promo spot from late-night talk show host and comedian David Letterman that went something like:

"Be sure to catch 'Late Night,' with me, David Letterman right here on WPT...Zed? What the hell is zed?"

:laugh:

Another one might be "Zed" versus "Zee" for the last letter of the alphabet.

My wife is from way upstate NY, and there's a large French-Canadian influence, and as such, it's not uncommon to hear locals say "zed" instead of "zee."

The funniest thing, though, that I distinctly remember, was a promo for the local NBC-TV affiliate.

Now, for those not familiar, national celebrities will frequently record promo bits for the local TV station that carries their show. For example, I might see Jim Parsons pop up on my local CBS station, saying something like, "Whenever I'm in Cincinnati, I watch 'The Big Bang Theory' on WCPO-TV!"

Well, the local NBC affiliate in MrsTasty's hometown is WPTZ, and there used to be a hilarious promo spot from late-night talk show host and comedian David Letterman that went something like:

"Be sure to catch 'Late Night,' with me, David Letterman right here on WPT...Zed? What the hell is zed?"

:laugh:

I grew up with zed, although I have heard the grandkids say zee. I won't be changing.

Russ

Some phrases get to me.
I've always used the phrase "standing in line", but people from up north, especially New Your say "standing on line". What, is there an actual line painted on the ground/floor that you stand on?:ohmy: I've always called the floor in a building the floor and use ground for outside. Many of the Cubans I grew up with call the ground outside, the floor.:scratchhead:

Some phrases get to me.
I've always used the phrase "standing in line", but people from up north, especially New Your say "standing on line". What, is there an actual line painted on the ground/floor that you stand on?:ohmy: I've always called the floor in a building the floor and use ground for outside. Many of the Cubans I grew up with call the ground outside, the floor.:scratchhead:

Here in the UK, 'ground floor' is always the term used for the rooms in a house at ground level. Next up is 'first floor' (and so on).

Here in the UK, 'ground floor' is always the term used for the rooms in a house at ground level. Next up is 'first floor' (and so on).
That's one of the things I always point out when I say, as an American, I'm generally more comfortable, day to day, in the UK than I am in the States.

I don't know if it's from watching too much BritTV as kid, but I've always considered the first floor up to be "the first floor," and it's always caused me some embarrassment over the years, when after being given directions to someone's office and I've ended up one floor off after being told, "We're on the first floor."

Some phrases get to me.

Then you use
Trunk. = boot
Hood = bonnet
Roof. = ceiling

Russ

Back
Top Bottom