Regional Word Usage

I've never heard that one. Good one, though.

CD
Or...l'm happier than a pup with two p*ters!

Or (when you want to emphasis that you're telling the truth): "I wouldn't sh!t you, you're my favorite turd!"

One phrase I use which no-one seems to know or use except me, my sister & my kids is 'to brivet'. I'm not sure how its spelled. I believe its West country from my grandma. It means something quite specific: to 'go through' someone else possessions - cupboards, drawers etc. out of nosiness (not to steal). There is no other word for it, so its really quite useful.

One phrase I use which no-one seems to know or use except me, my sister & my kids is 'to brivet'. I'm not sure how its spelled. I believe its West country from my grandma. It means something quite specific: to 'go through' someone else possessions - cupboards, drawers etc. out of nosiness (not to steal). There is no other word for it, so its really quite useful.
I suppose that makes my mom a briveteer!

Reckon is used lots here, we also have family one liners that come from my nana. I used to stay there a lot in weekends. They had a tv and we didn't. I remember watching programmes with my nana, the story line might be exaggerated and when the film would end, my nan used to say to me, and the band played believe it if you like!!. My kids will quite often watch something on tv and say the same, and the band played.......
Other lines are if scratching your ar$& , crumb in your eye?
Someone staring at me, I'd say, eyes for Xmas? My grandson was in in my sons car when a rough gang type guy pulled up,beside his car, grandson had window open, said to the guy, eyes for Xmas. Lol.

Russ

A couple from my FIL:

"Where the bear sh!ts in the buckwheat" - when passing on an absolute fact or telling someone what's what - "I guess he just told you where the bear sh!ts in the buckwheat!"

"'Sh!t,' said the sparrow, 'let's eat!'" - either said during a sneeze or when someone says that a meal is ready.

"Who stepped on a duck?" - said right after he broke wind.

A couple of other things they say there that they don't say here, "come with." I would say, "I'm going to the bar, do you want to come with me?" Her family all drop the "me" and just say "...do you want to come with?" - it always leaves my ear hanging, waiting for the me/us.

Also, they use the definite article "the" when referring to roads - "He lives on the Somers road," where I would say, "He lives on Somers Road."

Another one from my wife's neighborhood - "Jeesum Crow" as a substitute for "Jesus Christ," as in, "Jeesum Crow, Larry, don' drink all da' LaBatt's!"

Back
Top Bottom