Recipe Rhubarb and Chocolate Buckwheat-Oatmeal Cookies, with Maple Syrup

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
11:51 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Yeah, I know, what a combination! This recipe is also gluten-free, depending on your oatmeal source.

cookies-done.jpg

I brought these to a gathering, some people really enjoyed them, but there were a couple who did not. The rhubarb adds some tartness, and while this tartness did not overpower the sweet ingredients, some folk really do prefer their cookies to be unabashedly sweet. That’s fine, just keep this in mind before you decide to make these. (I'm notably NOT a sweet-tooth.)

cookies-rhubarb.jpg

Rhubarb, a tart but versatile vegetable. (The leaves should NOT be eaten.)

Prep Time: 25 minutes.
Cook Time: 15-18 minutes.
Rest Time: 5-10 minutes, and as usual, just about any cookie is best still warm, even if this is usually impractical.
Makes: 20-24 cookies.

Gluten Free Buckwheat, Oat, Rhubarb, Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 4.5 ounces / 120 grams buckwheat flour
  • 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch or cornstarch (I used arrowroot)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup / 114 grams unsalted butter, softened either by leaving it out for awhile, or via microwave. I left it out to soften.
  • 1/3 cup / 80 mL organic coconut sugar. My variety was brown.
  • 1/4 cup / 60 mL real maple syrup
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup rolled oats (not instant, not steel-cut)
  • 1/2 cup / 120 mL semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup (80 mL to 120 mL) diced rhubarb stems

Pre-heat your oven to 375°F / 190°C.

In a bowl, combine buckwheat flour, starch and baking powder. Mix with a spoon.

In a large bowl, mix softened butter, sugar and maple syrup. You can use a mixer. I did it by hand (well, spoon).

Add egg and vanilla and keep on with the mixing.

Add the buckwheat mixture, stir until this all melds together.

Add the oats, rhubarb and chocolate chips, here you should definitely mix with a large spoon instead of any electric mixer/blender.

Place the dough by tablespoons, at least an inch apart, onto baking pans you’ve lined with parchment paper.

Bake about 15-18 minutes. The cookies start out very dark in color, due to their ingredients, so you have to look carefully at cookie edges, and use touch-feel for done-ness.

The dough is very sticky, but the texture of these cookies upon cooking is not sticky/gooey. These are not moist cookies, but they should still be tender, and not hard.

Back
Top Bottom