Recipe Roasted Okra with Spiced Tomato

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:27 AM
This is a fairly straightforward recipe to make. I'd not tried roasting okra before and I think it does add a little nuttiness to their taste. Keeping them whole and not trimming off too much stalk prevents sliminess. I found the okra cooked in just over 10 minutes. Any more and they would have started to go brown, which is not the intention. The sauce is good but not spicy enough for me. I'd add more chilli flakes. I like the idea of toasting the seeds for the tomato sauce - a technique I use a lot when making curries.

Would I make it again? I might but it didn't really surprise me or teach me anything new other than roasting the okra. I've cooked similar recipes of my own before. But if you like okra (or think it is usually too slimy!) then you may want to try this.

Recipe from: Zaitoun by Yasmin Khan

Ingredients
500g okra
4 tablespoons light olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
400g can of plum tomatoes
2 teaspoons caster sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
extra virgin olive oil, to serve

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/Gas 6. Trim the okra by cutting off the stalks, but do so carefully by not slicing too close to the main pod: you want to keep each pod sealed so the seeds don't spill out, as this way the okra will remain firm while cooking.
  2. Place the okra on a large baking tray, drizzle over 2 tablespoons light olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes until the okra is tender but still firm.
  3. Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce. Place the remaining 2 tablespoons light olive oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onion over a medium heat for 10 minutes, until it is soft.
  4. Toast the coriander and cumin seeds by placing them in a dry pan over a low heat and stirring for a minute or so, until their aromas are released. Then crush in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder and add them to the onion with the allspice, garlic and chilli flakes. Fry for 2 minutes.
  5. Add the tomatoes, sugar, lemon juice, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
  6. Once the okra is out of the oven, add it to the tomato sauce and cook for a further 5 minutes, splashing in a little hot water if the sauce looks a bit dry. Taste, adjust the seasoning and drizzle with a generous glug of extra virgin olive oil just before serving.

This is a fairly straightforward recipe to make. I'd not tried roasting okra before and I think it does add a little nuttiness to their taste. Keeping them whole and not trimming off too much stalk prevents sliminess. I found the okra cooked in just over 10 minutes. Any more and they would have started to go brown, which is not the intention. The sauce is good but not spicy enough for me. I'd add more chilli flakes. I like the idea of toasting the seeds for the tomato sauce - a technique I use a lot when making curries.

Would I make it again? I might but it didn't really surprise me or teach me anything new other than roasting the okra. I've cooked similar recipes of my own before. But if you like okra (or think it is usually too slimy!) then you may want to try this.

View attachment 36670

Recipe from: Zaitoun by Yasmin Khan

Ingredients
500g okra
4 tablespoons light olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
400g can of plum tomatoes
2 teaspoons caster sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
extra virgin olive oil, to serve

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/Gas 6. Trim the okra by cutting off the stalks, but do so carefully by not slicing too close to the main pod: you want to keep each pod sealed so the seeds don't spill out, as this way the okra will remain firm while cooking.
  2. Place the okra on a large baking tray, drizzle over 2 tablespoons light olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes until the okra is tender but still firm.
  3. Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce. Place the remaining 2 tablespoons light olive oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onion over a medium heat for 10 minutes, until it is soft.
  4. Toast the coriander and cumin seeds by placing them in a dry pan over a low heat and stirring for a minute or so, until their aromas are released. Then crush in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder and add them to the onion with the allspice, garlic and chilli flakes. Fry for 2 minutes.
  5. Add the tomatoes, sugar, lemon juice, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
  6. Once the okra is out of the oven, add it to the tomato sauce and cook for a further 5 minutes, splashing in a little hot water if the sauce looks a bit dry. Taste, adjust the seasoning and drizzle with a generous glug of extra virgin olive oil just before serving.
View attachment 36672

View attachment 36669

Looks delicious, although I’ve never tried Okra, don’t know exactly why. Maybe this would inspiring me to give it a try!

Back
Top Bottom