Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
7:08 PM

Ingredients

Method

Mix the onion and garlic with the lime juice in a large bowl and set aside for 30 minutes. Add the cayenne chillis, Thai chillis, tomatoes, vinegar, sugar and salt and mix well. Taste for hotness and add the Thai chilies.

Put 50% of the mixture in a blender and pulse blend for a second or two. Return the blended mixture to the bowl, mix well and add the coriander. Chill, preferably overnight.

I think that cilantro (coriander leaves) are essential to salsa. My wife doesn’t agree. Needless to say, this means more salsa for me.

Is that because she doesn't like coriander (many people do not) or because she considers it unpleasant/unneccessary in salsa?

Coriander leaf is virtually essential to many Thai dishes and a significant number of Indian dishes also.

I think that cilantro (coriander leaves) are essential to salsa. My wife doesn’t agree. Needless to say, this means more salsa for me.

I like a little cilantro in my homemade salsa, but just enough. I want to just barely taste it. I don't like it as a garnish on foods -- tastes like soap. But, cooked into sauces or mixed into salsas, it seems to mellow out and lose the soapy taste. I dice it VERY fine when I do use it.

Not everyone tastes that soapy-flavor. It is genetic...

Why Does Cilantro Taste Like Soap to Some People?

CD

I like a little cilantro in my homemade salsa, but just enough. I want to just barely taste it. I don't like it as a garnish on foods -- tastes like soap. But, cooked into sauces or mixed into salsas, it seems to mellow out and lose the soapy taste. I dice it VERY fine when I do use it.

Not everyone tastes that soapy-flavor. It is genetic...

Why Does Cilantro Taste Like Soap to Some People?

CD

It is said to be genetic yet my youngest son gets this 'soapy taste' and no other family members (me, father, sisters or brothers) suffer from it. Maybe it skips a generation?

Yorky , caseydog - yes, the issue is indeed that genetic predisposition. But, I've also noticed that if I don't tell her, she doesn't notice it (maybe due to the relatively low quantities).

I think if its cooked into dishes the flavour changes. Its the fresh leaves which seem to cause the problem.

I think if its cooked into dishes the flavour changes. Its the fresh leaves which seem to cause the problem.

The majority of dishes into which I add coriander leaf the recipe requires it not to be added until the very last minute, otherwise (it says), the flavour is lost.

When my wife buys coriander leaf (cilantro) from the market, it invariable comes with half a dozen spring onions (scallions) as part of a deal (I know not why). Anyway, as neither of us had an immediate use for the spring onions they will join the coriander (together with white onion) in tomorrows salsa (when we buy a fresh supply of chillis).

Despite the lack of cayenne red chillis in our Lotus's supermarket (previously known as Tesco-Lotus) I substituted anaheim chillis and the result was better than acceptable.

Anaheim and Thai hot red chillis.

I didn't use all those Thai hot chillis (I'm not suicidal) - only a dozen or so.

This is heading for the freezer (I already have an unfrozen container in the fridge).

Back
Top Bottom