Sandwiches around the world

What, no butter?
Yeah, that's a stick of butter right there in the front. Butter on the insides of each piece of bread, then peanut butter on one and the jam on the other, and it's a nutty, jammy, greasy delight.

And it's on whole wheat bread, so it's extremely healthy! :laugh:

Yeah, that's a stick of butter right there in the front. Butter on the insides of each piece of bread, then peanut butter on one and the jam on the other, and it's a nutty, jammy, greasy delight.

And it's on whole wheat bread, so it's extremely healthy! :laugh:
...with a Diet Coke, I assume.

Nope, it's a bread "cake" about the size of a dustbin lid (exaggerated).

One for the Brits to ponder. I don't know where this came from and I've no idea if its accurate.

Yes indeedy-do. At my little local Kroger, I can get imported Irish, Finnish, and French butters, some premium US butters, and then the cheap stuff.

Land-O-Lakes makes a European style butter that is very good. I can't taste an advantage with Kerrygold. European butters have more butterfat, which makes a richer, creamier butter.

CD

I lived in Yorkshire and we called it a butty, barm or roll. Not a teacake, that was a chocolate & marshmallow sandwich cookie.

Well Yorky as you might have guessed, is from Yorkshire originally and he calls them dustbin lids.

For me a teacake is that chocolate marshmallow cake too.

My Partner comes from North East UK and calls them stottie cakes.

Well Yorky as you might have guessed, is from Yorkshire originally and he calls them dustbin lids.

No, the normal size ones are bread cakes only the large diameter ones are dustbin lids. Teacakes in Yorkshire usually have currants in them (excellent toasted with butter) and are actually referred to as "currant teacakes".

How did you know that I was from Yorkshire?

Last edited:
No, the normal size ones are bread cakes only the large diameter ones are dustbin lids. Teacakes in Yorkshire usually have currents in them (excellent toasted with butter) and are actually referred to as "current teacakes".

How did you know that I was from Yorkshire?

I guess there's a lot of words going around for this then. I lived in Yorkshire with my Yorkshire family in law and they had totally different names for things. Mother in Law was from Newcastle, Father from Doncaster and we lived in Market Weighton (near Beverley).

For me a teacake is that chocolate marshmallow cake too.

My Partner comes from North East UK and calls them stottie cakes.

Yeah stotties are something I heard my mil say too sometimes. It's too difficult to pick apart which one is the right one, for me.

Back
Top Bottom