It looks really great!
Did you notice the large chunks of jackfruit? My dinner guests did. Moreover, they kept asking how I managed to make the jackfruit look and taste like meat. As I mentioned before, this recipe became the topic of many discussions throughout the day. Also, the homemade cornbread (not made by me) is a perfect compliment to this chili.

I have a can too in the store cupboard. I made the best vegan burger I ever made using tinned jackfruit. Keep meaning to post the recipe....

These are my notes:

View attachment 29388
Love the photo.:pics:
The eye peeking out from behind. The hand written recipe on real paper. The scratched out ingredient changes. The small water stains on the paper. The picture embodies the true spirit of cooking.

Looks great. I bought a can yesterday to experiment with again.
I am excited you are giving jackfruit another "try". When I first learned about jackfruit here on Cooking Bites, I started experimenting with a few different recipes. Frankly, much like you, I was completely underwhelmed by the results. I was just about ready to give up on jackfruit when I tried it in chili. Holy cow, what a difference!!!

If you look closely at the recipe, I think it was three ingredients that made all the difference - coffee, miso, and vegan chocolate.

Savory Jackfruit Chili - 100% Vegan

:chef: Ingredients
10 oz package of BBQ Jackfruit
1 can black beans
1 bell pepper (yellow or orange)
2 habanero peppers
2 tbsp of cumin powder
2 cups of vegetable stock
1 white onion (medium)
1 cup of crushed tomatoes
1/2 tbsp of chili pepper flakes
:watching:Secret Special Ingredients
2 tbsp of red miso
2 oz of vegan dark chocolate (crumbled)

:chef: Method
  1. Mince onions and habanero peppers.
  2. Put onions, habanero peppers, miso, vegetable stock, crushed tomatoes and crumbled chocolate in a crockpot.
  3. Mix together. Cook on high for 45 minutes.
  4. Add 2 cups of water and rest of the ingredients. Stir together. Cook on high for 45 minutes.
  5. Serve hot in bowls.
:chef: Special Notes
  • Add more water if you want a thinner sauce.
  • Add more habanero peppers if you want it spicy. (I used 6 peppers :pepper:)

I simply love,love,love one of the two secret special ingredients 'Dark chocolate'. Great idea!

Just seen your recipe, thank you, I've missed it!
I'll check for others too

Chilli is originally from South America and so is chocolate - there is a long history of using bitter chocolate in chilli, I think. Then it got dropped by Europeans.

I'm not sure how true this quote is regarding the original romance novel. I know I was using dark chocolate in chilli long before the book was published.

But I gather its a rather good film...

Restoring the Chilli-Chocolate Partnership...

Alas, however, Europeans dropped chillies from their chocolate recipes until a romance novel, Chocolat by Joanne Harris, re-introduced the entire world to the practice. Made into a 2000 film starting Juliette Binoche, Johnny Depp and Alfred Molina, the story focuses on a young woman, Vianne Rocher, who opens a small chocolate shop in a French village.

She names her shop La Chocolateria Maya, the first hint that culinary history is about to repeat itself. Her exquisite chocolate creations, liberally spiced with powdered chillies, transform the lives of the townspeople, including the stuffy mayor who opposes her.

Back
Top Bottom