Featured Recipe Savory Jackfruit Chili

Discussion in 'Soups, Stews and Casseroles' started by TodayInTheKitchen, 18 Jun 2019.

1. TodayInTheKitchen

TodayInTheKitchen Active Member

Savory Jackfruit Chili - 100% Vegan

:chef: Ingredients
    10 oz package of BBQ Jackfruit
    1 can black beans
    1 bell pepper (yellow or orange)
    2 habanero peppers
    2 tbsp of cumin powder
    2 cups of vegetable stock
    1 white onion (medium)
    1 cup of crushed tomatoes
    1/2 tbsp of chili pepper flakes
    :watching:Secret Special Ingredients
    2 tbsp of red miso
    2 oz of vegan dark chocolate (crumbled)

:chef: Method
    1. Mince onions and habanero peppers.
    2. Put onions, habanero peppers, miso, vegetable stock, crushed tomatoes and crumbled chocolate in a crockpot.
    3. Mix together. Cook on high for 45 minutes.
    4. Add 2 cups of water and rest of the ingredients. Stir together. Cook on high for 45 minutes.
    5. Serve hot in bowls.
    :chef: Special Notes
    • Add more water if you want a thinner sauce.
    • Add more habanero peppers if you want it spicy. (I used 6 peppers :pepper:)

2. rascal

rascal Über Member

Looks brill, fancy shmancy. :)

Russ

3. Shermie

Shermie Veteran

Looks very tasty!! :wink:

4. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Excellent. I thought you were going to shred/pul the jackfruit for some reason - but that is probably because most vegan jackfruit recipes do that.

5. :heat:

Wowsers...this is really a lot of heat for a relatively small amount of chili. But, I do like how all the flavors come together. Is the jackfruit in chunks, or is it already shredded (as @morning glory asked)? I've had it before, and I do like the "meaty" character. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to buy a whole one (they can be as much as 55 kg (120 lb), which would make a lot of chili!)

TodayInTheKitchen likes this.
  6. morning glory

I think the tins are probably as good - given that the flavour of jackfruit itself is fairly neutral. But I've never tried fresh jackfruit.

7. TodayInTheKitchen

I actually had both varieties in the refrigerator - shredded and cubed. There has been a long standing debate in the chili world on whether you should have large chunks of meat or ground meat. I don't have much of a preference. On the other hand, I do have a recipe in mind for the shredded jackfruit, so I chose the chunk style jackfruit in the chili.

8. detroitdad

detroitdad Senior Member Recipe Challenge Judge

Colleen would love it if I made this for her. Honestly, I'm not a huge jack fruit fan. Maybe I need to give it another shot.

9. morning glory

Its not really about the jackfruit - its about the amount of flavour you can pack into it!

10. detroitdad

detroitdad Senior Member Recipe Challenge Judge

My problem was that I didn't love the texture of it. Maybe if I cooked it in a chili I would think differently about it. I tried emulating pulled pork with it.

11. Herbie

Herbie Senior Member

I understand you need to let it 'catch' a bit to make it pork-like. I find vegan food does require a little less spice than meat. dishes.

12. TodayInTheKitchen

A quick update. I made Jackfruit chili at our July 4th "gathering" and it quickly became the topic of many discussions. People could NOT believe it was 100% Vegan. I am thinking of renaming the recipe to Cowboy Jack Chili.

morning glory likes this.
  13. TodayInTheKitchen

14. Herbie

Herbie Senior Member

Looks great. I bought a can yesterday to experiment with again.

15. morning glory

I have a can too in the store cupboard. I made the best vegan burger I ever made using tinned jackfruit. Keep meaning to post the recipe....

These are my notes:

fullsizeoutput_4cda.jpeg

Last edited: 7 Jul 2019