1 white onion (medium)
1 cup of crushed tomatoes
1/2 tbsp of chili pepper flakes
:watching:Secret Special Ingredients
2 tbsp of red miso
2 oz of vegan dark chocolate (crumbled)

:chef: Method
  1. Mince onions and habanero peppers.
  2. Put onions, habanero peppers, miso, vegetable stock, crushed tomatoes and crumbled chocolate in a crockpot.
  3. Mix together. Cook on high for 45 minutes.
  4. Add 2 cups of water and rest of the ingredients. Stir together. Cook on high for 45 minutes.
  5. Serve hot in bowls.
:chef: Special Notes
  • Add more water if you want a thinner sauce.
  • Add more habanero peppers if you want it spicy. (I used 6 peppers :pepper:)

Savory Jackfruit Chili - 100% Vegan

:chef: Ingredients
10 oz package of BBQ Jackfruit
1 can black beans
1 bell pepper (yellow or orange)
2 habanero peppers
2 tbsp of cumin powder
2 cups of vegetable stock
1 white onion (medium)
1 cup of crushed tomatoes
1/2 tbsp of chili pepper flakes
:watching:Secret Special Ingredients
2 tbsp of red miso
2 oz of vegan dark chocolate (crumbled)

:chef: Method
  1. Mince onions and habanero peppers.
  2. Put onions, habanero peppers, miso, vegetable stock, crushed tomatoes and crumbled chocolate in a crockpot.
  3. Mix together. Cook on high for 45 minutes.
  4. Add 2 cups of water and rest of the ingredients. Stir together. Cook on high for 45 minutes.
  5. Serve hot in bowls.
:chef: Special Notes
  • Add more water if you want a thinner sauce.
  • Add more habanero peppers if you want it spicy. (I used 6 peppers :pepper:)

Looks brill, fancy shmancy. :)

Russ

Excellent. I thought you were going to shred/pul the jackfruit for some reason - but that is probably because most vegan jackfruit recipes do that.

2 habanero peppers
:heat:

Wowsers...this is really a lot of heat for a relatively small amount of chili. But, I do like how all the flavors come together. Is the jackfruit in chunks, or is it already shredded (as @morning glory asked)? I've had it before, and I do like the "meaty" character. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to buy a whole one (they can be as much as 55 kg (120 lb), which would make a lot of chili!)

Wowsers...this is really a lot of heat for a relatively small amount of chili. But, I do like how all the flavors come together. Is the jackfruit in chunks, or is it already shredded (as @morning glory asked)? I've had it before, and I do like the "meaty" character. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to buy a whole one (they can be as much as 55 kg (120 lb), which would make a lot of chili!)

I think the tins are probably as good - given that the flavour of jackfruit itself is fairly neutral. But I've never tried fresh jackfruit.

I actually had both varieties in the refrigerator - shredded and cubed. There has been a long standing debate in the chili world on whether you should have large chunks of meat or ground meat. I don't have much of a preference. On the other hand, I do have a recipe in mind for the shredded jackfruit, so I chose the chunk style jackfruit in the chili.

My problem was that I didn't love the texture of it. Maybe if I cooked it in a chili I would think differently about it. I tried emulating pulled pork with it.
I understand you need to let it 'catch' a bit to make it pork-like. I find vegan food does require a little less spice than meat. dishes.

Looks great. I bought a can yesterday to experiment with again.

I have a can too in the store cupboard. I made the best vegan burger I ever made using tinned jackfruit. Keep meaning to post the recipe....

These are my notes:

fullsizeoutput_4cda.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom