Hemulen

Woof-woof
Local time
1:58 AM
Savoury sweet potato doughnuts
bat_17.jpg

Preparation & cooking time ~30-35 min | 9 large doughnuts

These doughnuts are cooked in the oven and tossed around in oil-butter mixture to add color and crisp.

Ingredients / dough
~330 g/0.73 lb sweet potato (~1/2 large sweet potato)​
50-70 ml/0.25 cups lukewarm (~40°C/104°F) milk (cold or room temp milk if you’re using instant yeast)​
~1.5 teaspoons salt​
1 teaspoon honey​
1 pouch (11 g/0.39 oz) dry yeast (or ~3/4 amount instant yeast)​
200 ml/0.85 cups/0.45 lb/7.22 oz light/Nordic kind sour cream (Finnish ”kermaviili”), cooking cream or vegetable-based cooking cream​
2 tablespoons melted butter (~20 g/0.7 oz), macadamia nut oil or canola oil​
1 (organic) egg + 1 extra yolk​
~590-600 ml/~300 g/2.5 cups/0.66 lb plain flour/apf​
100 g/~105-110 ml/0.43 cups/0.22 lb grated or shredded mature cheddar (or other semi-hard cheese)​
Ingredients / filling
150 g/0.33 lb bacon​
3 cloves of garlic​
1 small shallot​
zest of 1 lime​
16-20 (a handful) of sage leaves (about half of which for the filling and half for garnish)​
black pepper​
The rest of the ingredients
✧ 10-15 g/0.35-0.45 oz butter​
✧ 2 tablespoons macadamia nut oil or canola oil​

Instructions

Peel the sweet potato and cut it into large chunks.
2. Steam the sweet potato until it’s soft (~25-40 minutes on the hob/stove or ~10 minutes in the microwave, turning after 5 minutes) and mash it with a fork.
3. Shred or grate the cheese and grate the lime zest.
4. Mince the garlic, shallot and sage leaves.
5. Set the oven to 175°C /345-350°F/gas mark 4, no fan.
6. Mix the honey, salt and lukewarm milk (warm the milk, honey and salt in the microwave and let cool until apt) and dilute the active yeast in the liquid. (If you’re using instant yeast, just mix all ingredients without warming up or diluting).
7. Mix the mashed sweet potato, yeast-milk-honey-salt mix, egg, extra yolk, sour cream, flour and cheese and let rest while you prepare the filling.
8. Shallow-fry the bacon, shallot, garlic and lime zest in a skillet/frying pan on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the minced sage in the end and take aside. Season with black pepper.
9. Line a baking tray with parchment, scoop nine even lumps of the dough on the paper and pat lightly.
10. Divide the filling on top of the lumps.
11. Use a spoon or your fingers to bring the sticky dough from the sides on top until the filling isn’t clearly visible and you have nine reasonably round ”doughnuts”.
12. Bake the doughnuts in the oven for ~20 minutes until they’re golden and slightly puffed.
13. Heat up butter-oil mix on a skillet/frying pan on medium-high heat and fry the hot doughnuts gently on the pan on both sides for a couple of seconds to give them some color and crisp. (I used a large wooden spatula and a fork).
14. Place the fried doughnuts on a serving plate, toss the rest of the minced sage in the hot butter-oil mix for a couple of seconds and sprinkle on top of the doughnuts. Finish with a tiny pinch of finger salt/salt flakes. Serve warm.

bat.jpg

Last edited:
This sounds appealing. I don't care for sage but it doesn't sound like that would be a deal breaker with the other nice ingredients.

Are you calling this a donut because it gets fried at the end?

This sounds appealing. I don't care for sage but it doesn't sound like that would be a deal breaker with the other nice ingredients.

Are you calling this a donut because it gets fried at the end?
Thanks. I guess you could use any other herb of your liking or just leave them out. I thought of using quotation marks around "doughnuts" in the heading/headline but I guess sweetness and deep-frying aren't strict requirements in terms of donuts/doughnuts. After all, these lumps are made of yeast dough (like donuts), they have a pinch of sweetness - sweet potato and honey :D - (like donuts) and they're fried in oil (like donuts) - although only in the end. Baking in the oven and shallow-frying quickly instead of deep-frying keeps the donuts from becoming too oily. The same method can be used for sweet donuts. That said, nothing beats those oil-dripping sweet donuts with a serious sugar coating...

Here's a link to a Japanese curry-filled doughnuts recipe.

Last edited:
I don't care for sage

Sage works really well with sweet potato. In fact I made something using both today... to follow

A lovely recipe Hemulen with a great balance of flavours. Now tell me, how would you serve these? Would they be a savoury bite on their own or would you pair them with something else?

Sage works really well with sweet potato. In fact I made something using both today... to follow

A lovely recipe Hemulen with a great balance of flavours. Now tell me, how would you serve these? Would they be a savoury bite on their own or would you pair them with something else?
Yes, it does if someone likes sage. ;-) My mother always made sage dressing/stuffing and sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving so I've had them together quite often. I'm not sure if it's the color or smell or both or purple dinosaurs (lol). I just don't care for it. I live in the Midwest (USA) and they sell a breakfast sausage with sage flavoring. I tried to give it a fair shot and it traumatized me (again!). Now, I don't even buy that brand in the original flavor.

P.S. I also didn't intend to step on Hemulen's toes. My apologies if I did, dear Hemulen.

Thank you for your nice words, MG. We ate some warm doughnuts as snacks/late lunch and put the rest in the fridge. I might pair them with a crispy, tangy salad tomorrow - either lettuce, radishes and green bell pepper (with mustard dressing), a vinegary coleslaw (no mayo) or quickly pickled cucumber.
- - -
P.S. I also didn't intend to step on Hemulen's toes. My apologies if I did, dear Hemulen.
:blackeye: Ouch, I'm SO offended, mjd :D. No need to apologize, Ms Tactful. Tarragon is my pet peeve, so if someone makes a wonderful ratatouille with fresh tarragon or prepares a juicy steak and covers it with a skillfully prepared Béarnaise sauce, I just might turn up my nose, swallow slowly or scrape the sauce afield - and briefly make known that for some inexplicable reason I dislike the able-bodied taste of tarragon/dragoon. You have a clear, historical & emotional reason for disliking sage - which (btw) happens to be a rather stark herb.

Yes, it does if someone likes sage. ;-) My mother always made sage dressing/stuffing and sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving so I've had them together quite often. I'm not sure if it's the color or smell or both or purple dinosaurs (lol). I just don't care for it. I live in the Midwest (USA) and they sell a breakfast sausage with sage flavoring. I tried to give it a fair shot and it traumatized me (again!). Now, I don't even buy that brand in the original flavor.

We grow sage and I use a lot of it. When I do roast lamb I do separate sage n onion stuffing.
Breadcrumbs, eggs, mandarin juice onions pre cooked , bacon and sage and parsley. Made moist then wrapped in foil and cooked alongside the lamb. It ALL gets eaten. I have about 3 plastic containers full of it. My wife dries it for me to chop and store.

Russ

You understand! As the kids say today, "the struggle is real!" :D

Back
Top Bottom