Self Isolation Supplies

zuludog

Veteran
Local time
11:37 AM
Well, the Corona Virus is upon us to a greater or lesser extent, and one of the methods for controlling it is self isolation for two weeks

Now, I'm not in favour of panic buying and hoarding, however the situation may be forced on us whether we like it or not, either as individuals or the population as a whole

I'm sure members of this forum keep their cupboards & freezers well stocked, but nevertheless, have we any suggestions for supplies for an extra say, 2 to 4 weeks?

I expect this would be frozen, canned, and packets

In the event of a long-term emergency like that, I'd be the first to die, probably, because I have such an anti-stockpile brain. I wouldn't know where to start.

If you're talking a couple of weeks, I guess I'd make sure I had some flour, salt, sugar, oil, and yeast to make bread, then canned tomatoes and dried pasta, several big containers of water, milk and cream, tea of course, maybe sausages, hot dogs, salami, cheese, eggs...see what I mean? That's just a typical grocery shopping list to me. I wouldn't know where to start! 😐

Hmmmm..... I've had an idea - perhaps we could get some advice from The Preppers

I do already keep a reasonable stock of food, I just wondered if anyone had any extra ideas

The basic raw, flour, eggs and long life milk. Blanche and freeze vegetables. Plenty of pasta and rice, and make large pots of things that will keep well in either the fridge or freezer. I would just like to add make large pot of risotto plain, and freeze, have plenty of vegetable stock and you make as many different Risotto as you need. Any vegetable and meats can be added. Risotto is filling and good you could have risotto everyday for a week and they will all be different.
Sarana x

Last edited:
Eggs are my staple. Fortunately, the hens are willing to stock....

No real interest in bread or milk here. For rice. I want indian basmati and Japanese sushi style, maybe a little brown. I already have enough of these. Farro...

I'm picking up half a small lamb today, cut into portions. Not because of the virus, but because it is more cost effective this way. (It was ordered a while ago.)

Wine, rum....

Soups, canned tomatoes. Beans, canned or dry.

The thing I'd seriously miss: fresh leafy greens.

With what I do have, I doubt I'll go hungry.

With the flu and pneumonia, I've been pretty much self isolating for the last two weeks. I still go out, if I need to, but stay away from people. If I need a few grocery items, the 24-Hour Walmart lets me shop with the store just about to myself.

CD

With the flu and pneumonia, I've been pretty much self isolating for the last two weeks. I still go out, if I need to, but stay away from people. If I need a few grocery items, the 24-Hour Walmart lets me shop with the store just about to myself.

CD
I have MS so have be careful. But I still feel it is all a bit over top. I do worry about Luca his wife my grandson who are in Napoli now.

Sarana x

I have always been a prepper/stockpiler due to chronic illness and knowing I am vulnerable at an emergency situation.

Now note one thing, stockpilers are different from panic buyers. The stockpilers like me are not causing shortages now, because we have prepped over years and months, panic buyers are the ones suddenly emptying the shelves of toilet paper. I don't need to do that, as I've always kept supplies at hand.

Right now I'm pretty happy with my stash as the panic buying has started here and I won't need to take part in it because my stock is already reliable for about two to three months of supplies. I have medication, candles, matches, water and cleaning supplies at hand too.

We have a lot of tins of vegetables, fruit, canned sauces and beans. We have rice, pasta, oils, flour, sugar, salt, sauces, milk, spices and baking supplies. We can last for a good while.

I have always been a prepper/stockpiler due to chronic illness and knowing I am vulnerable at an emergency situation.

Now note one thing, stockpilers are different from panic buyers. The stockpilers like me are not causing shortages now, because we have prepped over years and months, panic buyers are the ones suddenly emptying the shelves of toilet paper. I don't need to do that, as I've always kept supplies at hand.

Right now I'm pretty happy with my stash as the panic buying has started here and I won't need to take part in it because my stock is already reliable for about two to three months of supplies. I have medication, candles, matches, water and cleaning supplies at hand too.

We have a lot of tins of vegetables, fruit, canned sauces and beans. We have rice, pasta, oils, flour, sugar, salt, sauces, milk, spices and baking supplies. We can last for a good while.
Agree my husband has arrived with what I asked for. so we good now, we do not panic, I have enough for three to four weeks . I have onions, flour and a garden for herbs, I have a big supply of vegetables, rice and I make my own pasta and breads,

Sarana x

Enough?

Wonderful-Wine-Cellar-Design-Decorated-with-Large-Traditional-Style-Using-Wooden-Shelving-Deco...jpg

CD :eek: :D

No one in the South Island yet, but I had to get a warrant for car yesterday. C.o.f for Brits, a 12.month check for safety, tyres, brakes etc. car passed so on my way home the car automatically turned into a bottle store. Three bottles of coruba rum. I'm ok for a week or two. Enough food in freezer for months. Daughters friend is a baker, we're getting free bread.
Milk in my only concern. There's 4 litres in the fridges ATM.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom