Self Isolation Supplies

According to Rai Uno the only things open in Italia are Pharmacia and supermarkets. Cafes, bars ristoranti and everything else is closed. Even church services are to be stopped if not already. Luca his wife and my Grandson have not left the house since Monday! Little Carlo is bored to tears. Keira is very good and can make a meal out of just about anything she was clever and loaded up with the basic. I said to Ray last night that I do not think it will be too long before we see similar here! Ray bought load of meats etc yesterday so I have been up since 6 am making large pots of risotto, meat sauce, tomato sauce. I have enough 000 flour to make a lot of pasta, we have rice I have a 10 kilo bag. I have a large chest freezer in the garage so I am going to fill that. I already have a lot of vegetable in there. I think should the worse happen we would be ok for maybe 5 weeks longer if I revert to Cucina Povera. I agree Russ milk may become an issue also eggs, I have two dozen eggs at the moment and about 3 - 4 litres of milk. I can make bread and Pizza base. I am going to the Deli later and buy as much cheese as I can and a box of tomato and a large drum of olive oil. I have plenty of Salumi five full strings of Garlic and I have my greenhouse. I have asked Ray to get a 25 kilo sack of potato we will survive!
Sarana x

I'm honestly not worried at all about supplies. If I did have to be in isolation my freezers are in any case full and I always have loads of tins of beans etc. plus flour etc. I reckon I could probably survive for a year on what is here already!

I use on-line supermarket delivery in any case so unless that gets suspended (very unlikely in my view) I can get all the fresh food I need.

I'm honestly not worried at all about supplies. If I did have to be in isolation my freezers are in any case full and I always have loads of tins of beans etc. plus flour etc. I reckon I could probably survive for a year on what is here already!

I use on-line supermarket delivery in any case so unless that gets suspended (very unlikely in my view) I can get all the fresh food I need.
To be honest I think people are panic for little reasons about the virus itself but everything closed is different. I will make preparation just in case.
Sarana x

So I have just had a message from the doctors patients are not to go to the surgery. And we will be dealt with by phone! So it appears that it has started! I have enough meds for a good three weeks but am running low on pain relief.
Sarana x

I am more concerned about the knee jerk panic than I am about the virus.
I went grocery shopping Wednesday - just because I needed to. I shop Costco for a lot of things - especially paper goods and cleaning supplies. I am low on toilet paper. Not a roll to be found.
As for food. Two freezers full of meat, poultry and seafood. I buy milk at Costco - two gallons at a time - on for the fridge and one for the freezer. I may pick up a couple of extra gallons for the freezer. I did pick up cooking oil and EVOO. Just because I was low. I do not keep a lot of canned goods. Tomato products, a few tins of tuna. I went through the pantry and spice cabinet to check for basics. There are a few items that I may not have a two week supply of. Fresh veggies are another issue. I rarely use canned veggies. I may pick up a few packages of frozen veggies - the things that we use most.

Of course I have to have a reserve of essentials like vodka and wine.:drink:

My greatest concern is the economic impact.

Well, I did stop at Kroger today, and did partake in what I'd consider minor stocking up:

4 cans tuna
3 lbs ground beef
3 lbs bacon
5 cans beans
5 cans tomatoes
1 bundle (?) water
3 Brita filters
3 lbs wet dog food
2 lbs butter
2 gallons milk
1 gallon half-n-half
2 dozen eggs (and I dropped and cracked 5)
2 jars peanut butter
2 lbs lunchmeat
1 lb cheese
Giant box Corn Flakes
Giant box Cherrios
Big container popcorn
Big jar mayonnaise

We already have a normal stock of stuff, so this sets us ok for three weeks or so.

I had to laugh at the empty toilet paper aisle. I don't know about you, but if I felt I needed to stock up on TP, and all the TP were gone, my next choice would be...paper towels.

Toilet paper...100% gone. Paper towels...completely stocked. Either the absolute last person who wanted TP got the absolute last package, or there're a bunch of people walking around with the mindset, "If I can't clean my bottom with proper toilet paper, then I shall not clean it at all!" :laugh:

I am more concerned about the knee jerk panic than I am about the virus.
I went grocery shopping Wednesday - just because I needed to. I shop Costco for a lot of things - especially paper goods and cleaning supplies. I am low on toilet paper. Not a roll to be found.
As for food. Two freezers full of meat, poultry and seafood. I buy milk at Costco - two gallons at a time - on for the fridge and one for the freezer. I may pick up a couple of extra gallons for the freezer. I did pick up cooking oil and EVOO. Just because I was low. I do not keep a lot of canned goods. Tomato products, a few tins of tuna. I went through the pantry and spice cabinet to check for basics. There are a few items that I may not have a two week supply of. Fresh veggies are another issue. I rarely use canned veggies. I may pick up a few packages of frozen veggies - the things that we use most.

Of course I have to have a reserve of essentials like vodka and wine.:drink:

My greatest concern is the economic impact.

You freeze milk? Never heard of that? Ours with the plastic seal under the cap would swell and pop?

Russ

Well, I did stop at Kroger today, and did partake in what I'd consider minor stocking up:

4 cans tuna
3 lbs ground beef
3 lbs bacon
5 cans beans
5 cans tomatoes
1 bundle (?) water
3 Brita filters
3 lbs wet dog food
2 lbs butter
2 gallons milk
1 gallon half-n-half
2 dozen eggs (and I dropped and cracked 5)
2 jars peanut butter
2 lbs lunchmeat
1 lb cheese
Giant box Corn Flakes
Giant box Cherrios
Big container popcorn
Big jar mayonnaise

We already have a normal stock of stuff, so this sets us ok for three weeks or so.

I had to laugh at the empty toilet paper aisle. I don't know about you, but if I felt I needed to stock up on TP, and all the TP were gone, my next choice would be...paper towels.

Toilet paper...100% gone. Paper towels...completely stocked. Either the absolute last person who wanted TP got the absolute last package, or there're a bunch of people walking around with the mindset, "If I can't clean my bottom with proper toilet paper, then I shall not clean it at all!" :laugh:

We have a tp factory 20 mins from me, we won't run out.

Russ

I am totally stocked now. Ray bought 25 kilo potato. I bought a large box of tomato, I started to blanche peel and put through my Mouli I will have plenty passata now, 15 litres olive oil, 4 kilo of cheese and 1.5 kilo piece of Prosciutto Crudo from my Deli. I ordered half a sheep last night comes tomorrow this I will joint and freeze.
I have approximate 4 kilo mince steak, 5 kilo good sausage, four chicken, large bag tuna, large bag sword fish, calamari, prawns. and loads vegetables. I have enough 000 flour so I can make pasta every day for maybe six weeks.
Why are people buying all the toilet paper? Crazy people. As far as I understand the virus does not give bad stomach!

Sarana x

Well I stay in the house now, a friend has just come for coffee she said she was at my Co-op and a big fight started, She was very scared. Why do people do this? I understand the virus is bad but it not Ebola!! How long before total madness and free for all? Anything further we need Ray will get. He said if it get bad I should not go outside.
Sarana x

I just came back from town. I had to pick up a prescription at the drugstore, and a woman buying two packs of toilet paper was crying, sort of mixed tears of joy that they even had toilet paper available, and tears of panic because she was limited to two packs.

At Kroger, police conspicuous and it was a nuthouse, like a scene from Mad Max. People frantically barreling down the aisles. Thing is, except for some high-interest items, there was plenty. Potatoes and onions nearly gone, but plenty of carrots, parsnips, turnips, etc.

People seem to have gotten it in their heads they need hand sanitizer, water, milk, and toilet paper. Frozen potatoes about wiped out, loads of other frozen veg available. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Filling station had a line. I popped into the local board of elections to vote early (our voting day is Tuesday) - has to wait in line for the first time since moving here in 2004.

Everybody's acting like whatever they need to get done has to get done RIGHT NOW!

Back
Top Bottom