Self Isolation Supplies

I just came back from town. I had to pick up a prescription at the drugstore, and a woman buying two packs of toilet paper was crying, sort of mixed tears of joy that they even had toilet paper available, and tears of panic because she was limited to two packs.

At Kroger, police conspicuous and it was a nuthouse, like a scene from Mad Max. People frantically barreling down the aisles. Thing is, except for some high-interest items, there was plenty. Potatoes and onions nearly gone, but plenty of carrots, parsnips, turnips, etc.

People seem to have gotten it in their heads they need hand sanitizer, water, milk, and toilet paper. Frozen potatoes about wiped out, loads of other frozen veg available. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Filling station had a line. I popped into the local board of elections to vote early (our voting day is Tuesday) - has to wait in line for the first time since moving here in 2004.

Everybody's acting like whatever they need to get done has to get done RIGHT NOW!

Things pretty much normal, plenty of food , BUT what is it about toilet paper, I just don't get it.we have about 20 rolls here, 10 upstairs and 10 down. Same as last 30 years. It's crazy.

Russ

Absolutely crazy. Our State Governor has closed schools until mid April. So summer make up or at home studies? No answer on that. Baby Brother and his daughter live with Mother. Niece has a care taker. Who will care for other children while their parents are at work? Who will feed the children who rely on school breakfast and lunch programs for nutrition? Often the only meals they get. I do not excuse their parents for not providing for their children but the children should not suffer.

I am having a problem wrapping my head around all of this.

Absolutely crazy. Our State Governor has closed schools until mid April. So summer make up or at home studies? No answer on that. Baby Brother and his daughter live with Mother. Niece has a care taker. Who will care for other children while their parents are at work? Who will feed the children who rely on school breakfast and lunch programs for nutrition? Often the only meals they get. I do not excuse their parents for not providing for their children but the children should not suffer.

Here the governor closed schools but said they still have to provide meals to those kids who get them. He said it's up to the schools to figure out how to do that. 🤔

It really is crazy, the rugby competition between us ozzy argys and japs is postponed. Our players are to stay in ozzy. Crazy.

Russ

I would love to stop someone walking out of a supermarket with a trolly load of pasta and ask them "What do you really think you are going to do with that? Sorry to be smug, but as foodies we know how to put a series of good meals together based on limited ingredients. If you see what has been stripped from the shelves you have to think what can possibly be made from that disperate collection?

Just come back from supermarket, biggish one, everything normal there. No stocking up that I saw. I see a cruise ship has been tied up in akaroa with three suspected cases. No one is coming ashore. Akaroa is an hours drive from me, a quaint wee town with French themes. Great place to visit. I feel sorry for the passengers. Locked up.

Russ

Ciao a tutti,
I just see this picture on BBC it looks like apocalypse movie! Why are people being as animals? They grab and other have none. I will do anything to feed Ray and my family but NOT for the cost to others. I now thank God I listen to mama and nonna, I can make meals out of little. Sad the people who do this, if food does no have microwave instruction they lost. Some friends laugh at me because I make everything, now they in panic and I do not!!

Sarana x

Everybody's acting like whatever they need to get done has to get done RIGHT NOW!

It's strange that we have not yet experienced panic buying although there are indications that folks are stocking up on certain items (hand sanitiser for one). And, of course, we almost have a border with China.

I would love to stop someone walking out of a supermarket with a trolly load of pasta and ask them "What do you really think you are going to do with that? Sorry to be smug, but as foodies we know how to put a series of good meals together based on limited ingredients. If you see what has been stripped from the shelves you have to think what can possibly be made from that disperate collection?
They're going to use all that hand sanitizer they've also stockpiled to make a lovely, healthy sauce! :laugh:

Seriously, six months from now, curbside trash will be filled with all these overstocked panic buying items, because people who don't normally cook will have gone back to restaurant food and they'll end up pitching all this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom