Recipe Sesame and Nori Mini Bagels

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:27 AM

I was making an appetizer with some Japanese style ingredients and wanted to make a tasty base for them that had Japanese inspired elements, was crunchy, easy to eat as finger food, but was firm enough to stand up to a pile of ingredients. I have been making some "cheat" bagels with no yeast, and it occurred to me that I could add nori (seaweed sushi wrappers) to my bagel dough to achieve the desired results. It worked perfectly! I ended up putting layers of sushi-style ingredients on the toasted nori mini bagels and my sushi bagel was born!

The following bagel recipe is adapted from a recipe on simplyscratch.com
Easy Air Fryer Everything Bagels - Simply Scratch

This recipe makes approximately 8 mini bagels.
Ingredients:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 and 1/8 tsp baking powder (not baking soda)
.25 tsp onion powder
.25 tsp garlic powder
.25 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 sheets of nori (Japanese sushi wrappers)
1 egg
Sesame seeds for coating

Put the nori sheets on a baking tray in the oven on a low temperature (250F) for a few minutes, then remove and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350F and lightly grease a cookie sheet. In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients except for the nori and sesame seeds and stir briefly. Add the yogurt. Mix together until a ball forms.

Crumble the nori sheets into the dough and mix together.

With floured hands, separate and roll the dough into small balls.

Slightly flatten each ball and poke a hole in the middle of each one into a bagel shape (I used a chopstick). Whisk an egg in a bowl. Pour sesame seeds into a separate bowl. Dip each bagel on both sides into the egg, shaking off the excess, then dredge in the sesame seeds until each one is coated.

Place each bagel on the cookie sheet and bake for approximately 25 minutes. Slice each bagel and toast before adding sushi ingredients.

Last edited:
I've never thought to do anything with nori sheets other than to roll seafood, veggies, and rice into it for sushi rolls. But to do a sushi bagel I had to come up with a way to get the seaweed in there somehow. I originally thought I would just shred it and sprinkle it on top of the seared tuna, but then got this idea to try. Luckily it worked out exactly how I thought it would! Honestly, I liked these bagels so much I ate a couple of them toasted and plain.

I've never thought to do anything with nori sheets other than to roll seafood, veggies, and rice into it for sushi rolls. But to do a sushi bagel I had to come up with a way to get the seaweed in there somehow. I originally thought I would just shred it and sprinkle it on top of the seared tuna, but then got this idea to try. Luckily it worked out exactly how I thought it would! Honestly, I liked these bagels so much I ate a couple of them toasted and plain.
That truly is creativness! Well done!

Had a Korean friend back during the studytime in Munich, she would do the Korean version...forget the name, but that was so tasty!
I might do something along those lines this summer...

Back
Top Bottom