Show me your breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday we were meeting up with some old friends we hadn´t seen for 6 years.
We decided to go to the Changing of the Guard, at Buckingham Palace. FUN!! I hadn´t seen that since I was 5, and my grandson (3 years old) was absolutely fascinated.
I thought it´d be a great idea to have a Full English at a Greasy Spoon*, so I searched through the web and finally found the perfect option, just 5 minutes away from the station. I was really looking forward to sausages, eggs, bacon, fried bread , mushrooms, beans... but alas, it was not to be. Good Friday - CLOSED.:cry::cry::cry:
We opted to take pot luck, and as we walked from the station, we saw what looked like a pub, which was open and serving breakfast.
Not quite the cheapest option:eek:, but we got to eat a delicious breakfast before we toddled off to see Lizzie´s guards.
I decided against the Full English, because there were poached eggs, Scottish smoked salmon and hollandaise on the menu:

*For those who have not been to the UK or eaten a Full English; a Greasy Spoon is a traditional British Café (pronounced: CAFF) that serves a cholesterol-boosting, artery-clogging, utterly satisfying breakfast, accompanied by copious mugs of seriously strong tea. The cafés generally have formica-topped tables, paper napkins (if at all) and linoleum floors and were originally for the working man. The basics. If there were an equivalent in the US, I ´d say it was the Diner. Simple, home-cooked food for working people.

*For those who have not been to the UK or eaten a Full English; a Greasy Spoon is a traditional British Café (pronounced: CAFF) that serves a cholesterol-boosting, artery-clogging, utterly satisfying breakfast, accompanied by copious mugs of seriously strong tea. The cafés generally have formica-topped tables, paper napkins (if at all) and linoleum floors and were originally for the working man. The basics. If there were an equivalent in the US, I ´d say it was the Diner. Simple, home-cooked food for working people.

A greasy spoon is exactly the same thing in the US, but with some different menu items. And yes, most diners would qualify as a greasy spoon. But, some cafe's do, too.

CD

Didn´t know that! I´d much rather breakfast in a place like that than some ghastly joint like Costa or Starbucks.
Here’s where we always get at least one breakfast when we’re in London:

REGENCY CAFE LONDON

They don’t stand for any farting around/faffing about in there, either. You get in line, order your food (and you damn well better know what you want before you get up there to order), no substituting or special orders, then you go and find a table…and you’ll likely end up sharing if you’re just a couple, because it’s always packed full.

That´s EXACTLY where I was going to go. Maybe we´ll go another day.
It’s worth it. We always go, and we like that it’s no fuss and just very straightforward food. I implied that it’s a little rude or abrupt there - it isn’t, it’s just that the workers have so many people to serve, there isn’t much time for hemming and hawing.

MrsT is not a morning person by any means, especially on holiday, and she’ll get up at 6AM to get there before it gets insanely busy, so it must be good.

I just discovered Brioche Burger Buns and they are DA BOMB!!!
We usually only eat 2 at a time, so I freeze them, wrapped in a paper towel to absorb any moisture while they defrost on the counter, in a zip-top baggie.
Those rolls are wonderful with just about anything in the middle, YUM!
This ⬇️
Artesano™ Brioche Buns
is brand that I've been buying mostly.
The loaf bread is excellent for toast !!
Yeah, they make the best burgers! If you like brioche toast, you should try brioche French toast. I make mine stuffed with fruit compote and cream cheese and use fresh fruit and honey for the topping (sometimes a bit of whipped cream too).

We have greasy spoons in the US, too. They do not serve full English breakfasts though, LOL. More typically are some overcooked eggs, hash browns, bacon and/or sausage (not blood), and toast. No beans, no mushrooms.

Yeah, they make the best burgers! If you like brioche toast, you should try brioche French toast. I make mine stuffed with fruit compote and cream cheese and use fresh fruit and honey for the topping (sometimes a bit of whipped cream too).
One of DH & my favorite breakfasts.
I introduced my Mother to French Toast had with brioche and she was in heaven.
Now, what you should try is King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread in the round loaf
Original Hawaiian Sweet Round Bread, 2 pack
and cut your slices pretty thick.
Top it with Coconut Syrup, OOOOOH BABY!!!
From time to time I can find that round loafs at Walmart.

One of DH & my favorite breakfasts.
I introduced my Mother to French Toast had with brioche and she was in heaven.
Now, what you should try is King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread in the round loaf
Original Hawaiian Sweet Round Bread, 2 pack
and cut your slices pretty thick.
Top it with Coconut Syrup, OOOOOH BABY!!!
From time to time I can find that round loafs at Walmart.
I've had the King's Hawaiian rolls before, I like it but hubby doesn't. I would probably like coconut syrup, not sure where I'd find it! Also not sure hubby would like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom