Show me your breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit on the thin side though. You need to roll them thicker at the dough stage, then they'll be perfect. I'm assuming you made them...

As a rough guide, an 8oz (225g) flour mix shouldn't make more than 6-8 scones, 6 farmhouse size or 8 regular size. Roll to about 1inch thick (this is the absolute minimum). They are deceptive creature at the best of times.

I may throw some together later today...

Bit on the thin side though. You need to roll them thicker at the dough stage, then they'll be perfect. I'm assuming you made them...
I think part of it may be down to the difference between American and UK self-rising/raising flours (meaning the expectation), and the difference in American versus British scones. I went with round, just for a change, where these really should be triangular.

American scones have some noticeable differences in taste and texture when compared to UK ones, that’s for sure, and I was following an American recipe…sort of (it’s scones, which I’ve made a thousand times). Ours generally have more sugar and fat in them, and I’ve always found American scones to be much more on the crumbly side and UK scones to be a little less so and a bit closer to a bread texture. Not entirely like bread, just a bit more like bread.

Of course, it’s all down to the recipe, and I’ve had bready scones here and crumbly scones there, just speaking generally.

I went with round, just for a change, where these really should be triangular.
With respect to the non-triangular shape, I have to point out the comments I got among family/friends:

Brother: “Those are some good-looking biscuits!”
Me: “They’re not biscuits, they’re scones.”

Sister: “I’d love one of those biscuits!”
Me: “They’re scones, not biscuits.”

Neighbor: “I like your biscuits!”
Me: “They’re scones, not biscuits.”

My gorgeous and sweet hair stylist friend: “You’ve made biscuits look sexy!”
Me: “Thank you, you know your biscuits!”

:wink:

Soy drink, strawberry, kiwi, apple, walnuts smoothie for breakfast this morning

TastyReuben now there's a dish you don't see on menus much any more, Chipped Beef, yum!
Maybe I should make that for myself!
It’s on just about every menu here, and it’s a favorite of my wife’s.

I don’t think you were on here when we were over here last time…MrsT must have had it six times; once on a Belgian waffle.

It’s on just about every menu here, and it’s a favorite of my wife’s.

I don’t think you were on here when we were over here last time…MrsT must have had it six times; once on a Belgian waffle.
I've never eaten it. My MIL made it for her boys when they were young but he has never requested it. I really don't see any need to go out of my way to make it, LOL, and I have never seen it on a menu around here (though I am sure it's somewhere). Probably just didn't notice it because it's not my thing. I'd rather have eggs benedict or biscuits and sausage gravy.

Chipped beef on toast is definitely an Eastern PA thing. It has a fun nickname, "sh-t on a shingle." It saw heavy duty during wartime in the US, and the soldiers gave it that name.

I don't like it at all. My parent's love it. That means I had to eat it as a kid whether I wanted to or not. Back then, parents decided what tasted good, and kid ate it.

Dried beef chopped up into "chips" and mixed with the blandest white gravy you can make, and dumped on toast.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom