Show me your breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huddle House is not "fine dining." I've not been to a Huddle House, but have heard it is similar to Waffle House down South. The food isn't pretty, but as my ex-FIL would say, "it eat's good."

CD

I know it isn't fine dining. Of course! I was simply meaning if you pay for food then some sort of effort should be made to cook it decently and place it on a plate with a bit of care. No more than that. Here, the equivalent of the breakfast places would be transport cafés which are aimed at lorry drivers stopping off. There are also small old-style cafés in towns and cities (less so these days) which are known as 'greasy spoons'. They are cheap and serve all kinds of varieties of English breakfast (and other basic food). I've eaten at them many a time in the last fifty years and I can only say that I've never seen food looking like the Huddle House example.

Here is my local greasy spoon :

1622619782557.png

Menu:

Photo of a breakfast from Café Rose (I know the beans look weird to folk in America)

1622619907264.png

As to the plating, for perspective...remember the old Little Chef restaurants there? Now, would you expect food styling from a typical Little Chef? At a roadside truck stop/diner place, "plating" means it made it on the plate. :)

Of course I don't expect food styling. That is not what I meant. The Little Chef makes an effort of some sort to arrange things on a plate. The Little Chef is still going BTW - here is an example of their 'Olympic' breakfast:

1622620505567.png

Of course I don't expect food styling. That is not what I meant. The Little Chef makes an effort of some sort to arrange things on a plate. The Little Chef is still going BTW - here is an example of their 'Olympic' breakfast:

View attachment 64606
It is now my ambition to recreate this some day. I have saved this picture.

There are no such hash browns available here, but I can buy round ones which is good enough for me here.
Does McD's serve breakfast there, and if they do, do they have hashbrown patties like that?

Here, they do, but they're oval. However, Arby's serves the triangular ones, and they're not just for breakfast - they're my preferred potato side when I get a roast beef sandwich.

Does McD's serve breakfast there, and if they do, do they have hashbrown patties like that?

Here, they do, but they're oval. However, Arby's serves the triangular ones, and they're not just for breakfast - they're my preferred potato side when I get a roast beef sandwich.
Hash browns are an uncommon thing here, MCds serves breakfast but only egg MCmuffins and pancakes.

Hash browns I buy are only available by their Swiss name ( rosti) and only in supermarkets. People here only know rosti due to ski vacations to Switzerland and they are eaten at dinner not breakfast.

Hash browns are an uncommon thing here, MCds serves breakfast but only egg MCmuffins and pancakes.

Hash browns I buy are only available by their Swiss name ( rosti) and only in supermarkets. People here only know rosti due to ski vacations to Switzerland and they are eaten at dinner not breakfast.
I've made them from scratch before and can make them round, oval, square, triangular...they taste the same! :laugh:

Buying them premade is much easier, though.

I've made them from scratch before and can make them round, oval, square, triangular...they taste the same! :laugh:

Buying them premade is much easier, though.
I personally also know them as Latkes when homemade, those are Jewish potato cakes. Thats on my list to make some day!

I personally also know them as Latkes when homemade, those are Jewish potato cakes. Thats on my list to make some day!
I have never made a Latke before, but I thought those had flour (or matzo), milk, and eggs in them as well as the potato? Even hashbrowns are known to have binders in them but I have never seen eggs in a hashbrown recipe, I saw a copycat recipe for McDonald's hashbrowns and it had some corn flour in it, which I found odd.

I have never made a Latke before, but I thought those had flour (or matzo), milk, and eggs in them as well as the potato? Even hashbrowns are known to have binders in them but I have never seen eggs in a hashbrown recipe, I saw a copycat recipe for McDonald's hashbrowns and it had some corn flour in it, which I found odd.
It depends on who you ask,as far as I know it's kugel you are referring to. That is a Jewish potato oven dish that can be made with (matzo) flour but is not always.

A traditional latke has just potato, sometimes egg and onion drained of liquid and shallow fried.

It depends on who you ask,as far as I know it's kugel you are referring to. That is a Jewish potato oven dish that can be made with (matzo) flour but is not always.

A traditional latke has just potato, sometimes egg and onion drained of liquid and shallow fried.
Yeah, it must differ between countries as well. In the US in areas with heavy Jewish populations, Latkes often have the other binders like matzo and egg. I have never heard of kugel but over here everyone cooks Latkes on top of the stove, not in the oven. Same thing with potato pancakes, they also cooked on top of the stove.

How To Make Classic Latkes: The Easiest, Simplest Method
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/living/food-drink/article9250538.html

My typical hashbrowns are free of binders and only have garlic powder, salt, pepper, and onion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom