Show me your breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it isn't fine dining. Of course! I was simply meaning if you pay for food then some sort of effort should be made to cook it decently and place it on a plate with a bit of care. No more than that. Here, the equivalent of the breakfast places would be transport cafés which are aimed at lorry drivers stopping off. There are also small old-style cafés in towns and cities (less so these days) which are known as 'greasy spoons'. They are cheap and serve all kinds of varieties of English breakfast (and other basic food). I've eaten at them many a time in the last fifty years and I can only say that I've never seen food looking like the Huddle House example.

Here is my local greasy spoon :

View attachment 64600

Menu:

View attachment 64601

Photo of a breakfast from Café Rose (I know the beans look weird to folk in America)

View attachment 64603

That is very similar to a Greasy Spoon in the US. The menu differs in a few ingredients, but it is the same kind of food. A typical breakfast would be eggs, bacon and/or sausage, hash browns and toast. The hash browns would usually be the kind in Tasty's photo. Pre-shaped hash browns are mostly a fast food thing, like McD's.

CD

Hash browns here are rectangle or triangle shaped. I cooked a box of 20 last Sunday for brunch, I don't like the potatoe thing with breky or brunch. I didn't have any. I honestly can't ever see myself having potatoes in the morning, no matter how many times I see pics of them. Every one else ate them though.

Russ

Hash browns here are rectangle or triangle shaped. I cooked a box of 20 last Sunday for brunch, I don't like the potatoe thing with breky or brunch. I didn't have any. I honestly can't ever see myself having potatoes in the morning, no matter how many times I see pics of them. Every one else ate them though.

Russ
I feel the same way about beans, none at breakfast for me. I do like crispy potato hash with fried runny eggs on top.

Russ
I would (and frequently do) have potatoes at every meal of the day (and maybe as a snack in between).

I know, I just don't get it, I really don't. Growing up we always had potatoes for tea/ dinner. Normally mashed and tasteless.

Russ
Potatoes are tasteless if the cook doesn't season them. I love them mashed with cream, roasted garlic, salt, pepper, and butter. Hubby likes his with beef gravy.

Potatoes are tasteless if the cook doesn't season them. I love them mashed with cream, roasted garlic, salt, pepper, and butter. Hubby likes his with beef gravy.

My mum bless her soul, wasn't the best cook, three pots on the oven ring, one potatoes one carrots one pick any vege. Then add a tablespoon of salt and boil the beejesus out of them. Then mash and serve. The potatoes had milk added to thin it down. She was on a budget though.
I don't use salt in cooking, people add or not from the table. Cracked pepper and pink rock salt on table.
My carrot done my way sautéed as batons in butter and orange zest, potatoes mashed with copious amount of butter cheese and cream. Garlic added of sons here
Corn zapped then covered in butter.
A lot different to the way I grew up.

Russ

I would eat the potatoes and the beans. Building bridges, that's what I'm all about.
They have food on the menu in greasy spoons in the UK and elsewhere that doesn't have beans in it. I think I would be okay and able to build bridges and communicate well with the natives without having afternoon farts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom