Show me your breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's breakfast: Steelcut Oatmeal with blueberries, bananas, and a dusting of cinnamon & nutmeg.

20210610_110906.jpg

Edit: and a hair I somehow dropped in there as I was photographing this dish 🤦‍♂️

They do don't they? :) I used to find little Manchester Terrier hairs in my dishes sometimes too.
Sometimes, I'm eating something, and I get that texture that tells me there's a hair in there, so I pull it out, and I pull some more, a little more...and find the other end is still attached to my head. :laugh:

Ok, I'm really happy with this:

This is a Tomato-Cheddar Egg Bake, from one of my Food & Wine Magazine cookbooks, and it's the best thing I've made in a long time. It's that good.

This was originally meant for the cheddar challenge, but I just never got around to it in time. Believe me, this is going into regular rotation.

It's a lot like a savory bread pudding, made with tomatoes, chicken broth, bacon (and a bit of sausage I had left over) and cheese, among other things, then finished with a couple of eggs baked on top - which I think I nailed this time...no hard-cooked yolk at all. :woot:

The tomatoes and eggs are reminiscent of a shakshuka, but the addition of the chicken broth-soaked croutons layers on another flavor profile that's just wonderful.

What's nice, too, is there's enough space between steps that there really is no need to get everything ahead of time, and it feels less like cooking from a recipe (even though that's exactly what I was doing) and more like just a natural progression of steps, if that makes any sense. It was so...casual putting this together.

Let me know if anyone is interested and I'll post up the recipe.

Last edited:
Great looking breakfasts! We usually have a smoothy and when you mix spinach with blueberrys you get a glas of thick, goopy, grey stuff..not so photogenic....

Great looking breakfasts! We usually have a smoothy and when you mix spinach with blueberrys you get a glas of thick, goopy, grey stuff..not so photogenic....
Weekdays, it's a purely functional breakfast of cold cereal around here, but on weekends, I insist on a hot breakfast, the more the better. That's really my splurge meal of the whole week.

Ok, I'm really happy with this:

View attachment 65288

View attachment 65289

View attachment 65290

This is a Tomato-Cheddar Egg Bake, from one of my Food & Wine Magazine cookbooks, and it's the best thing I've made in a long time. It's that good.

This was originally meant for the cheddar challenge, but I just never got around to it in time. Believe me, this is going into regular rotation.

It's a lot like a savory bread pudding, made with tomatoes, chicken broth, bacon (and a bit of sausage I had left over) and cheese, among other things, then finished with a couple of eggs baked on top - which I think I nailed this time...no hard-cooked yolk at all. :woot:

The tomatoes and eggs are reminiscent of a shakshuka, but the addition of the chicken broth-soaked croutons layers on another flavor profile that's just wonderful.

What's nice, too, is there's enough space between steps that there really is no need to get everything ahead of time, and it feels less like cooking from a recipe (even though that's exactly what I was doing) and more like just a natural progression of steps, if that makes any sense. It was so...casual putting this together.

Let me know if anyone is interested and I'll post up the recipe.

Please do post it. The eggs look perfect. Not easy to do on a baked dish.

Please do post it. The eggs look perfect. Not easy to do on a baked dish.
Tell me about it. I've 🤬 up so many baked eggs, I'd just about given up. Recipe would say 15 minutes at 350F, and I'd check them at 10 minutes, raw...12 minutes, raw...13 minutes, raw...14 minutes, raw...14 minutes and 30 seconds, completely cooked through. :eek:

I'll get the recipe up later today. I can't even express how happy I was with this. Even MrsT raved. She looked at it, crinkled her nose, gave me a sour look, took a bite, and couldn't shut up about how much she loved it...and she doesn't like shakshuka or eggs in purgatory or anything like that. It was the bread and chicken broth that did it for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom