Recipe Small Batch Shoyu Chicken

kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Local time
11:44 AM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
I make this dish often, it's a favorite in Hawaii, part of my comfort food repertoire.
This has roots from Japanese folks that migrated to Hawaii to work the Sugar and Pineapple plantations.
Like most other people, everyone brings with them recipes from back home and then tinkers with them to match the ingredients that they can find in their new homeland.
Shoyu or Soy Sauce is a major player in this recipe, you use the type that you like.

I call this Small batch, because there's just two of us now and I really don't need to be making up five pounds of chicken.

Small Batch Shoyu Chicken

Ingredients:

4 B/S Chicken Thighs
1 C. Chicken Broth (or Water)
½ tsp. ground Ginger or 1 Tbsp. fresh Ginger, minced
3 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
⅔ C. Low-Sodium Shoyu (Soy Sauce)
1 large Garlic Clove, minced
1 ½ Tbsp. Sake or Beer
Black (or White) Pepper to taste

Method:

Combine all of the ingredients in a pot
Bring to a boil & reduce the heat to a low simmer
Cover partially and cook until the Chicken is tender, about 30-45 minutes

Cook's Notes:
To Serve, sprinkle some chopped Green Onions and Sesame Seeds over the Chicken, ONO (that's Hawaiian for delicious) !!

IMG_1801.JPG

A recipe is simply someone else's idea, you take it and make it your own.
You've got a whole Chicken that you want to break down and cook in a different way, go for it, maybe cook it a bit longer if it's bone-in Chicken.
Edit: I'd probably double the braising liquids for a higher quantity of bird :happy:
No Sake, try Mirin or Shao Xing Wine or leave it out altogether.
Your family just loves fresh Ginger, add as much as you like.

Last edited:
Is that a good thing then TastyReuben ?
I've never done WW.
It’s about average for a meat/main - the idea would be to flesh out the rest of the meal with something like steamed veg, which can be zero points or even earn you back a point. Most meals (at least for my wife) are around 8 points, which leaves her room for a snack or two.

Back
Top Bottom