Recipe Smoked Haddock and Colcannon with Whisky and Mustard Sauce

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:45 PM
Cabbage is traditionally used for colcannon but Brussels sprouts (if you like them) also work well. Adding the preserved lemon gives a lovely sour tang to the colcannon. A good smoky tasting whisky is ideal for the sauce. This is an easy and quite simple dish to make.

Ingredients
2 x pieces of smoked haddock fillet (approx. 120g per portion)
300g floury type potatoes
150g Brussels sprouts
1 finely chopped preserved lemon
A little butter
100 ml double cream (heavy cream)
50 ml whisky (preferably a good peaty whisky such as Laphroaig)
2 heaped tsp of whole grain mustard
2 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt to taste

Method
For the colcannon:
  • Cook the potatoes in salted boiling water and drain well.
  • Cook the Brussels sprouts until done to your liking. I prefer them to be on the softer side of ‘al dente’. Drain and chop finely. Reserve a few individual leaves for garnishing if desired.
  • Mash the potatoes with a little butter. Add the chopped Brussels sprouts and preserved lemon mixing well. Add salt to taste. You can make the colcannon in advance and reheat.
For the haddock:
  • Poach the haddock fillets (skin side down) in frying pan for approx. 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and peel off the skin. You can leave the skin on if you wish.
For the sauce:
  • Place the cream in a saucepan and heat gently. Add the mustards and whisky and stir well. Cook for 5 minutes so that the sauce reduces slightly and thickens.

Awesome dish! I love everything about that. Whisky sauce is something I have only ever made to go with haggis but I can really see how it works with smoked haddock, and I love the use of the preserved lemons - I'm sure they really balance the richness of the sauce. This recipe is now on my urgent list!

How do you make yours? I originally tried to make a beurre blanc with whisky and mustard but it split - so I ended up with this simplified version.
From memory, simply reduce double cream, add whisky and wholegrain mustard, maybe a little concentrated veg stock and season.

Back
Top Bottom