Recipe Spicy Chickpea Lentil Burgers

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
4:51 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This one is from Vegan Richa's website and can be made with any lentil/bean combination to make a variety of different burgers all from the same recipe.
http://www.veganricha.com/2015/01/spicy-chickpea-lentil-burgers.html

Taco-Spiced-Burger-9634.jpg Taco-Spiced-Burger-9643.jpg

Taco Spice Chickpea Mung Bean Burgers
Allergen Information: Free of Dairy, egg, corn, soy, nut. Can be made gluten-free.
Makes 6, 3 inch patties

Ingredients:

1 15 oz can Chickpeas or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
1/2 cup petite yellow lentils (mung dal) or use red/pink lentils
1 cup water
1/4 cup Roasted Red bell pepper or use chopped fresh red bell pepper
1 Tbsp Taco spice blend (recipe at the end)
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
1 tsp oil (optional)
1 tsp lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/4 cup packed chopped cilantro
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
2 Tbsp or more Oat, chickpea or wheat flour

Method:

1. Wash the lentils. Add to a pan with a cup of water and cook over medium heat. Bring to a boil, cover and cook for 8 minutes or until they are almost tender. (total 12 to 13 mins) Cool for a few minutes.(If using red lentils, bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes).
2. Drain the excess water from the yellow lentils and add to a processor.
3. Drain and wash the chickpeas and add to processor. Add the roasted red pepper, salt, taco spice, cumin seeds, lemon juice, nutritional yeast and pulse to get a coarse pasty mixture.
4. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Taste and adjust salt and spice. Mix in the oil, garlic, cilantro and onion.
5. Add Oat or regular flour if the mixture is too wet. Coat the patty in flour or bread crumbs for crisper crust. Shape into patties by pressing into a 3 inch cookie cutter.
6. Brush oil on top and Bake at pre-heated 400 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes. Or pan fry the patties in a greased pan over medium high heat, 3 to 4 minutes each side. I like these patties pan fried.

Taco Spice blend:
1 Tbsp cayenne pepper,
1 tsp garlic granules,
½ tsp onion powder,
2 tsp cumin powder,
1 tsp smoked paprika,
½ tsp oregano,
1 tsp coriander powder,
¼ tsp black pepper

Sounds delicious - I always seem to have lentils in my pantry - they're a good soup addition but for some reason I haven't tried making veggie burgers with them.

I usually use a sweet potato/black bean base when making veggie burgers but I'm going to try these the next time we make them. I love taco seasoned stuff so I think I'll enjoy them a lot.

This is a new recipe to me. I don't know if I know what lentils are, they are small beans correct? How do you make a sweet potatoe base for the burgers? I had a black bean burger over the weekend that was the best I had ever had, most of the ones I have had in the past were dry and tasteless, this one was a little to oily but it had lots of taste to it.

I might actually try this recipe.My ex-partner hated lentils and chickpeas so I very rarely bought them. Since he moved out, I have started buying them again because they are a tasty yet cheap ingredient. They are also very nutritious. Other than making a hummus and throwing some chickpeas in a curry, I have not been very adventurous so far, but I might give this a go.

Back
Top Bottom