• 1 tsp coriander seeds
  • 2 tbsp sambal badjak
  • 2 tsp sambal oelek
  • 3 tbsp ketjap manis (sweet soy sauce)
  • 1 tbsp salty soy sauce
  • Bisto gravy powder
  • 300 ml water
  • Salt and pepper
1) Add some oil to a wok or large sauté pan, and add the onion. Sweat until golden, then add the ginger, garlic, coriander seeds, and sambal. Stir for a minute on low heat, then add the mince. Add pepper to taste.
2) When the meat is browned (make sure the veggies don't burn by stirring frequently), add the soy sauces and stir the bisto mix in according to the package.
3) Add the water and let stew for about 10 mins on low heat or until the sauce is glossy and thickened. If not much sauce, add more water.
4) Serve with mashed potatoes, or a baked potato, or rice/noodles. It's a flexible dish.

Edit: on the photo I also added a diced carrot to the mix, however this is optional.

Last edited:
  • 2 tbsp sambal badjak
  • 2 tsp sambal oelek

I've only ever made "Singaporian" sambal so these two are unknown to me. I do not believe that the bottled variety are available locally here.

I've only ever made "Singaporian" sambal so these two are unknown to me. I do not believe that the bottled variety are available locally here.
Sambal badjak is sambal made with chillies fried onions and palm sugar. Sambal oelek is sambal of just chillies fermented with salt.

More info here:
Sambal - Wikipedia

Back
Top Bottom